1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some gamecube advice...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by riggs, 8 Jan 2006.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hello all...

I'm thinking about getting a Dell WS LCD, and am wanting to connect my GC to it. Now, the LCD has DVI, VGA, S-Video and Composite inputs - obviously the DVI will be in use (PC), and composite is worthless. So between S-Video and VGA, which would be the best to use?

Also, I seem to recall that MODchip talk is frowned upon here @ BitTech, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually modded a GC? I'm quite tempted to buy myself a chip, but I'm not really sure what homebrew software/games are available (the GC homebrew scene is nowhere near as big as PS/XBox).
    Preferably looking for NES/SNES emulation...

As always, if any of this is against forum rules, I apologise in advance (and await a slapped wrist!)

Last edited: 8 Jan 2006
  2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I'd say VGA would be the best input but the cables are probably harder to find / more expensive.

As for homebrew, I'm pretty certain it's next to non-existant. The only thing to really mod it for would be to play multi region games. But since a freeloader is so cheap and easy I wouldn't of said it's worth it.

3. riggs

riggs ^_^

VGA cable? I was assuming I'd need some sort of VGA box, didn't realise a VGA cable was available?

Emulation - completely forgot (up until 2 mins ago) to check Zophar...seems they're making some progress on the emulation front.

[edit]
    Bugger - looks like VGA is my only option.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2006
  4. riggs

riggs ^_^

Well, I've been looking into this and as usual the UK system is quite limited in terms of connection options. As posted above, there's no support for s-video, so my only real option would be to get hold of a component cable (£35) and a VGA box (£50 ish), which tbh doesn't seem worth it.

I'll have a look into hacking together a SCART/VGA cable, but I'm not sure whether a TFT would support it (CRT might do though).

Same goes for the modchip idea - seems fairly expensive just to run a few emulators/linux. May as well just save my money and wait for the Revolution (seeing as it has emulators built in).

Ah well...I suppose it stops me from spending cash.

5. logan

logan flashback!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive tried something like it, they dont work, especially on TFTs. Big-expensive-mistake :(

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

I did come across that one whilst searching around...

I've canned the idea though. Not gonna bother trying to get a better picture (will have to make do with composite) - any money I was thinking of spending is going in the 'Revolution fund'...

Just for info though; in my case the TFT isn't the problem (seeing as I'm connecting through a TV card). Software scaling is pretty good...a lot better than the TFT's hardware scaling. It's just the fact that composite is so **** poor...
    I tried a DVD player connected to composite and got the same problems (major colour bleeding, fuzzy picture (similar to RF)). Tried the same DVD player through the s-video input and the picture was so much better. Why oh why didn't they include s-video output on the EUR Gamecube!?

:wallbash: