1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some info about two monitors setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lost.Soul, 29 Jun 2005.

1. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

Well, I am considering to buy a two monitor setup, so I need some info how does it work in "practical life"

Fullscreen applications -
    Can I chose which monitor will be showing them / can I choose to split them on both?

If I run fullscreen app on one monitor (I suppose it is possible), can I control the windowed apps on second monitor without exiting the fullscreen one?

I know these questions are kinda noob-ish, but I have never seen that setup in full action (I dont count my visits in graphical studios, with PS, flash and CAD running - no fullscreens)...

My budged allows me to buy one high end 23" display or two "middle range" 20/21" ones...

So could you please advice me which option should be better?

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Grab "ultraMon" works great for mutli monitor setups :)
    Dont think it allows fullscreen on 1 / control over apps on the other screen though... Only tried in games, but it tends to boot the fullscreen app (the game) back to the desktop, requiring you to reselect it from the taskbar again

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

By fullscreen apps, do you mean maximised programs or games?

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I'm guessing games, as you wouldn't have a problem running a full screen app :) .

Death

5. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yeah with games you can sometimes alt-tab out of them I've found.

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I use ultramon too, it's nice. With most games, or playing a dvd etc, I can usually alt-tab over to my email or whatever, then just go back and click on the game to get the focus back...
    Only trouble is, you'll always have to cart two monitors around with you, coz there's no way you'll want to go back to one ;)

Did I mention it's nice? ;)

7. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

My 2p-

A dual monitor setup is the dogs OO's, and yes, you will never feel comfy wil anything other than that, after use.

Ultramon is quality

And, you are not able to play games etc, and then go work on the other screen, without the game minimising- but is that soooo bad??

8. I must say there is no going back once you've used 2 or more monitors simaltaniously.
    It kicks A$$! Ultramon is definitely program to use. You'll love it, guaranteed :thumb:

9. Coutsos

Coutsos What's a Dremel?

I hope this isn't seen as much of a thread-hijacking, but can anybody relate their experiences of a dual monitor setup under Linux? Is it like running X twice or could you just have different workspaces on different monitors?

10. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

I love my dual display! Its very very usefull... (Especialy when im chatting up a storm and want to check bit-tech or something. Boom, chat on one screen, bit-tech on the other.)

:) Go with it!

11. Florian

Florian Minimodder

If you want to game on one screen and have apps up on the other you're probably better off using two separate computers rather than one with a dual screen setup.

12. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

Or, you could do what i have done.
    1 Pc for games,
    1 Pc with dual screen!

= 3 Monitors :D

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yes, as they have all said, once you go to dual you won't go back to single monitor without a fight.
    And no matter what else you do in your life, if you get dual monitors, you must get Ultramon.

Gaming on dual works fine, but if you need to alt & tab out to use say irc/msn etc it sometimes works sometimes doesn't, depends on the game tbh.
    Some lagg like hell when alt &tab'ing over, others don't have a problem.
    You can counter that problem by running the game in a window.

Also when gaming on dual (if running full screen), try to run the game at the same resolution as you have windows set to, or it will mess you icons and apps on the second screen by pushinf them to the side.

Make sure you buy a similar monitor to the other so they can both run at the same resolution.

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Unless you get a 20"+ Widescreen :p
    Yes that is true.

15. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

If your playing CS:S, HL2 (pretty much any game with the HL or HL2 engine, you can hold tab and press control while in full screen to get a cursor, then just move the cursor over to the other screen and do what you wish. When your finished just move it back over to the game, click somewhere in the window and then press control again and you back in the game. I've done this in CS:S, CS 1.6, DOD, Hl2 DM, Gmod and Brain Bread. Hope this helped.

16. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

So true, but you forget to factor in a second 20" WS monitor :p

17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

One 2405FPW is enough for me thanks ;)

18. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Im saving up for 2. the 2005fpw just ain't big enough :(

19. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

thx for the input, guys :thumb:

Is there any chance how to get DELL monitors i the ... ehm... "central Europe" ? :rolleyes:

20. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Get a certain someone in the US of A to buy one and ship it to you. :)