1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding neon or cold cathod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GreyMack, 18 Oct 2003.

1. GreyMack

GreyMack What's a Dremel?

Hi

I'm real newbie so please be gentle with me.

My case came supplied with a cold cathod tube (blue) and also a clear fan.
    I was looking at buying a blue fan and there seems to be a wide choice.
    But i'm really not sure if i want a neon or cathod one, whats the difference and whats the best?

I should also say i don't like noisy fans so if anyone knows a quiet one i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

Hang on it maybe that I'm Dyslexic but there is something a foot here (ok I could have said wrong but)

You can get LED fans and you can get Cathode Fans.

LED fans have LED's normally 4 in the surround frame of the fan. As the fan spins around it looks like the fan is glowing.

Cathode fans are UV reactive and have a UV cathode (I think anyway I could be very wrong) attached to them so that the fans glow by the UV cathode.

:duh: and now someone will explain it so that you can understand

3. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

There are cold cathode fans which are clear and have e.g. blue and red cathodes too. So it's just like an LED fan, just with a cathode.
    I've never heard of neon tubes for PC mods before.

4. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Grey, if you're talking about fans, then "Neon" refers to fans with LEDs on them. Cold cathode fans have one (or two) cold cathode tubes around the outisde (if just one) or outside and inside.

In terms of sheer brightness, cold cathode wins, but you may not be able to mount it depending on the fan hole and its surroundings. The outer cathode tube juts out beyond the frame of the fan by a few mm, which means that if the fans are stacked (either side by side or up/down), you can't fit two of them together. Plus, if the fans are attached by a holder (like on Antec cases), they will not fit period.

An LED fan, while dimmer, has more lighting options. You have several choices of color for transperant fans (which means the color is coming from the LEDs itself) and an assortment of UV fans (the LEDs emit UV light, and the plastic of the fan is UV reactive). Plus, a LED fan is no bigger than a normal 80x80x25 (assuming that's the size you're looking at) fan, so it can be fit anywhere a 80x80 fan hole is present. Plus, LED fans are RIDICULOUSLY cheap right now.

5. Phunktion

Phunktion What's a Dremel?

oops.. nm looks like it was actually an EL wire fan.. hmph

Last edited: 18 Oct 2003
  6. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

theres also UV reactive fans that are made of plastic that glow under UV (black) light, but you need an aditional cold cathode to make them glow.

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I saw a friend who had a green cc fan and they are indeed bright, with one fan there was this erie green aura behind his pc, two or more would be blinding :cooldude:.