1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Neon string for HDD activity?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Angel O'Death, 16 Jul 2002.

1. Angel O'Death

Angel O'Death What's a Dremel?

is it possible to use a neon string inplace of the HDD LED? if so, how would one go about doing this? thanx!

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

This *seems* possible. Basically u would need a normally OFF transistor(PNP if memory serves me right). One would connect the transistor's field to the + side of the HDD led. Then the other 2 legs would be hooked in line with the 22 gauge speaker wire leading to the neon string(NOT the inverter, rapidly switching it wouldnt be good). Also if u want ure neon string to be off during HDD activity and on when there is none, get a NPN transistor.

3. Hindaine

Hindaine What's a Dremel?

well i dont have neon string, so answer me this question first: Does neon string "Boot" like my neon light does? it takes about half a second to turn on when i throw the switch

or does it just go ON like a normal light bulb? If it just goes on, i bet you could modify linears diagram from this thread here

I would think you just connect it up like the LEDs, maybe linear can relook his idea and tell ya.

4. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

thats a ******* good idea
    i am gonna get a coolermaster 710 and it dont have a hdd led and this would solve the problem, do a hovering mod (put the neon string at the base of the computer so it cant be seen but it looks like it is hovering and link it up to the hdd activity) it would look really cool

5. linear

linear Minimodder

Yes it can be done, just use an optocoupler between your HDD pins and the string for safety.

Details here (scroll down)

6. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

my neon string(el wire from target)lites instantly...i have the inverter switched thru a modbus on the top of my pc....why would one want to use a optocoupler linear?

7. Angel O'Death

thanx guys!

[snip...]
    Optoisolator (optocoupler)

Street price $0.35

If you need to couple a circuit to your motherboards HDD leads, this is the widget for you. It provides electrical isolation between your custom circuitry and the mobo, and it makes substantial current available to your circuit.

An opto consists of a matched LED and phototransistor in a single package. When the LED is turned on, the light shines on the phototransistor, whose collector-emitter junction conducts, providing current to the load which is typically in the emitter circuit.
    The schematic above shows using a 4N27 optoisolator ot drive three LEDs from the HDD header of a motherboard.

Applications:
    Any circuit that you want to trigger on HDD activity needs to interface through one of these to protect your motherboard from disaster.
    [snip...]

so basically, it lets me hook up a light to the HDD leads and it'll function like the LED, plus this device will give wutever i hooked up enough power. otherwise, it would try to draw it from the motherboard and mess things up nasty. right?

8. Angel O'Death

LOL!!! thats exactly the case i was intending to use this on! :D

9. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

great minds think alike ;)

10. linear

linear Minimodder

The optocoupler allows the HDD lead to trigger it, but protects the mobo from possible damage due to a short etc.

Well, you need to look at the collector current spec on the opto that you buy, but yeah. The good news is that your EL probably draws 100 mA or less, and you shouldn't have a lot of trouble finding a cheap opto to run it.

The other little detail people forget is that the HDD signal is active-low. So instead of that pin going high with respect to ground to light up the LED, it goes low with respect to +5V to light the LED. That makes interfacing to the HDD header with a transistor a little more of a headache (but still doable).

11. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

dont u reckon something as bright as neon string would get kinda annoying flickering on and off all the time?

flickering lights **** me off, especially on my ****ing ericsson phone!!!

hazza