1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Netflix uses Silverlight to support Mac, Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd and WC Addict

Not installing - pointless as so little uses it. Having the flash plugin is bad enough.

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Well-Known Member

Such a pity that as bad as Flash is in general, everything I have seen of Silverlight is far, far worse.

4. bowman

bowman Member

Flash is bad enough, we don't need another one, no thank you.

Besides, if I actually pay for a movie, do I want to download it in 1080p and view it with the media player and platform of my choice or do i want to view it in some gimped stupid browser plugin? I think you already know the answer.. And we're back at the old 'pirates give their non-paying "customers" better service than vendors do to their paying customers' adage.

5. TreeDude

TreeDude New Member

At least it's something guys. It's not like Silverlight is going to slow down your browser, it is just a plug in. Would you rather they not support Macs?

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

I rather use JQuery to make some nice effect ;)

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

They can stick there DRM infested s**t where the sun dont shine, i agree that flash is bad enough, but 10-14 year olds love it and older more casual users seem to love it as well

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

According to PDC, Silverlight is already on 20% of net-connected computers, which ain't all that bad if you ask me.

9. Coelacanth

Coelacanth New Member

Yeah, I have no problem with this. The online service is not meant to be for downloading movies, its more of a rental instant gratification type thing. I like the idea of being able to rent a movie, watch it with mediocre quality online quickly, and then use the rest of my netflix allocation to have high quality movies sent to my home when I have a larger audience to view it with.

I think this was a great choice, as long as Microsoft keeps up with silverlight, and works to improve it over time.

Tags: Add Tags