1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network monitoring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadowspawn, 22 Jul 2003.

1. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Hey guys, does anyone know of a simple software package that will let me remotely monitor my router traffic from a pc on the network?

I currently have three systems, about to go up to six, on a network running through a Linksys BFSR41 router/switch.

What I would like to have is something simple that will monitor the traffic over the router so that I will know when my wife does one of her massive uploads to smugmug.com.

Linksys doesn't have anything on their site, and I'm betting that its going to have to be supported by the router to work, but thought Id ask my fellow bit-techers before giving up on it.

2. pszaro

pszaro What's a Dremel?

A sweet program to get is Network Associates Sniffer Pro 4.5. Perhaps you can get a free trial from *somewhere*... :D

3. jake

jake Network Gawd

Sniffer pro is, as the name suggests, a packet sniffer - not really useful just for monitoring link bandwidth. And anyhow, Ethereal does all the packet capturing [although not the network analysis] of sniffer pro and is free.

I would suggest using SNMP to do what you want. Something along the lines of MRTG will provide very good historical information about the traffic through your linksys and for real time alerting a decent SNMP trap receiver which lets you set alerting thresholds will do the job. Something like CHEOPS might be what you're looking for or possibly something a lot simpler.

HTH

J

4. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

as above MRTG and Ethereal.

Tags: