1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks networked storage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darklord, 13 Oct 2004.

1. darklord

darklord What's a Dremel?

is there a way to attach a hard disk to a network without paying the price and without a whole computer too???

2. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Not that I know of.

You don't need a powerful computer for a network storage server. Any old system will do...may be a bit slow, but functional.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

you don't need much to get it running... a PSU, a mobo (with onboard graphics could be practical) and the hardisk(s) you need "networked" (and a cool case to put it in, of course)...

just get it running and use realVNC or something similar to controll it...

i have a computer set up like that (it have a soundcard and a cd ROM aswell though..) alltough it's not used for storage on the network (i have a couple discs in my own comp. for that)...

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

do you want a hobbiest micro electronics awnser?

If so then yes, but you need a high end micro such as an ARM710. A prototype board would cost about as much as an old mobo with onboard gfx + video + lan.

5. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

I had this same idea about a week ago, but don't really have the funds to go through with it. Here's what I was thinking:

Use a Geode-based system to control the hard drives. Something like the Soekris net4501, with a PCI controller or raid card, running Linux. To map it as a drive in WIndows, you'd probably have to write your own protocol, but if you could get it right, such a thing would be handy.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

7. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

once running linux, could use samba, but for the cost of that, why not just get a passivly cooled, nano, or mini itx board.

heck the mini-itx box that has just 12v input should only set you back £100 at most. It would also have nice hardware vid decodoing, and other nice things.

8. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

These are about $100 cheaper than the earlier mention NAS, but it is 40 GB less.

9. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

You could get one of these from Linksys - £71.99 on Dabs. You'd then need a USB2 caddy for your hard drive - perhaps £20-30. So you should be all sorted for under £100 (assuming you already have the drive of course...)

Jamie

10. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Hmm, indeed. I never thought about mini-ITX, but now, this is looking a little more viable. Thanks. :D

11. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

That's what I was going to reccomend. Also this Netgear router: http://netgear.com/products/details/WGT634U.php allows you to plug in a usb 2.0 drive as well.

You could also get a Rio Karma - it has ethernet connectivity, though I'm not quite sure of the details of it.

12. darklord

darklord What's a Dremel?

thanks for the help guys i've just noticed that this post should have been in the networking section but as I have a usb 2 external HD I will most likly go for the linksys solution

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Well, if you're not going to use an ARM or solder anything we'll send you packing... :thumb:

14. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

do you think that you could change the HD in this without a problem? like take out the 160 and put in a 250/300? and if it uses IDE inside, could it support 2 drives?

or is the only way to find out to take it apart...

15. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Old computer dude... simplest cheapest way.

16. Edwardyh

Edwardyh What's a Dremel?

ok...i have a few old mobo's (P1's @ 166-233Mhz) now my question is, is there any kind of distro that i can jsut install and it makes the system jsut like a network storage device? i dont wanta install SuSe or so cuase it will take up alot of space on usless software.. (o it the network is mostly win2k, and xp systems).

17. ZeroX

ZeroX What's a Dremel?

18. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

slackware 10 all the way

19. Edwardyh

Edwardyh What's a Dremel?

Thanks ChegsJAR, downloading slackware as of lastnight (cd1 finish, cd 2 over 50% done)

20. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

slackware comes with a web-based package called SWAT.

Run this and it will set up samba for you. :D

Tags: