1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Never assume ANYTHING - formally warning about corsair.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 8 Dec 2017.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

EDIT:

I'm the plum that flipped the polarity on the 5v rail by using what I assumed was a standard pinout for cables that easily plug into one another.

EDIT EDIT: Colour shift from grey to blue.

Hi guys,

Some of you might remember me from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, and to those that are new, "hello".

I thought its worth raising here an issue I've had with the commander pro. It would appear the 12V side of the device is failing to kick into life despite the presence of 12V.

This results in the commander pro trying to power a 12V fan/'s from the USB bus, and thus over amps the attached cables burning off the insulation and letting the smoke out.

I've been posting on the corsair forum, but its a little lack luster in terms of responses I've had.

link link

I'm now on a campaign to get my money back, and to spread the word of warning.

Oh and their tech support makes the apple store employees look like actual geniuses!

Customer: Hi your product just let the smoke out
    Corsair: Oh, could you plug it back in and see what happens?
    Customer: Hell no!

Last edited: 12 Dec 2017
  2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Not what you want to hear, but i suspect their PSU is wired differently to your Antec SATA cable and that's caused a problem. Agree with you totally on refusing to plug it back in though.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

As said above, not what you want to hear:

1: The title is misleading.
    Corsair is not warning anyone, you are.

2: As has been explained on the thread you linked to and as said above:
    The standards for PSU cables apply to the end that connects to the device, not the end that plugs into the PSU, meaning you should never plug a cable that has not been whitelisted by the PSU manufacturer into the PSU.

3: As you have plugged a cable not whitelisted by the manufacturer into the PSU you have zero legal entitlement to an RMA or refund.

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

How?
    Multiple people explained exactly what the cause of the problem was.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

They've only been posting overnight, a pretty rapid appearance from nothing.

This appears to be the horror I've come to understand this morning after doing a reverse pin check with multi-meter in hand.

This is my finding, assuming I've got it correct after cross referencing sata power pinouts.

[​IMG]

The worst I've done is flip the polarity on the 5v rail. which would explain the GND wires frying to death, and not given the unit 3.3 or a GND...

Amazed its not been a worse death...

Humble pie has been consumed, and I shall now retract my grumblings.

Anfield, Pliqu3011 and Arboreal like this.
  7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Honestly, there should be a standard pin layout scheme for modular PSUs. It would have saved a lot of hardware over time.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Any chance you could fix the dark text? On the dark style its barely visible.

Don't blame you

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Indeed.
    Imagine it would have been an HDD rather than some inconsequential controller.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

This has bothered me for a while, no standardized pin outs for modular units. Heck its a minefield with different generations of corsairs own PSUs never mind trying to use other manufacturers cables on them.

That said I thought it was common knowledge :p