Modding new and old dremel

Discussion in 'Modding' started by inanimous, 12 Jan 2005.

1. inanimous

inanimous What's a Dremel?

so... my dad just bought a new dremel (he's a piano technician) cus his old one died :idea: which of course is bad and good. bad cus he had to buy a new one, and they're pretty expensive over here, but of course not so bad for me cus i get the old one.
    thing is - :confused: he claims that the engine should be fine - since no extra force was applied ( he really does only fine jobs with it, sands felt with gentle grinder), rather its something that has to do with some other part.
    anyhow (i'm at work and some user just called - "i cant see a folder :waah: "
    :eyebrow: should i tear this thing up myself and see whats the problem or is it best left to pros? i know my way around electronics and stuff im not afraid - i just wonder whats the way to know whats wrong/fix it?

10x

2. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

hmmm if you know the dos and donts of electricity then it may be worth a look for the fact that you might find some interesting things. Chances are though that it might cost more to repair it and get it running than it would be to repair it. I have been wrong on occasion though lol. Good luck!

3. _lumpy_

_lumpy_ What's a Dremel?

Ok by engine I guess you mean motor :duh: lol

First check the fuse, daft but you never know.

All that has probably gone on it are the motor brushes. These are 2 carbon blocks on springs that push againstthe motors comutator via slip rings. When these wearout they no longer work thus leaving the dead. They should be replaced. either you can do it or a sparky. it's not a hard job either way.

If it not the brushes check the connection internally if they smell burnt place dremal in the bin and buy a new one. :dremel:

4. inanimous

inanimous What's a Dremel?

engine lol

10x so much - carbon blocks was the word i was looking for - since the herbrew translation for what my dad said it pbbly was is charcoals.
    imagine my surprise when nothing came up on google "replacing dremel charcoals" har-dee-har-har. so anyhow i guess the MOTOR is fine, its only the CARBON BLOCKS... anyhow we'll see if i have the time and or energy to attempt this inane feat.
    in case ill try and keep you posted.
    again 10x so much, and sorry for my inadequate technical vocabulary.
    :p

5. Nitro_APBT

Nitro_APBT SpiderModder

search for dremel "brushes". Searching for carbon pads might nit find what you're looking for.

Appearently they have a tendency to go bad, and should be easy to replace.

I've had mine for 10+ years and not had to replace them, but they sell them right next to the dremels around here so I guess they go often.