1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development new Apartment means new Network setup; Help me out!

Discussion in 'Software' started by zero0ne, 31 May 2008.

1. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

OK So I just moved apartments, and I am looking to totally re-do my network and server setup.

First things first, Internet connection will be Verizon FIoS @ 20mbits up and 20mbits down. (so I have TONS of bandwidth to play with!)

The router they give you is GARBAGE IMO, and I will most definitely be bridging it with some other piece of free software (90% chance that will be Smoothwall; they just released 3.0 I believe)

So, so far I Have:

Code:

{INTERNET} ----> [FIoS Router] --bridged---> [Smoothwall Box; ~600Mhz box prolly]

My intentions are to upgrade every computer on the network to gigabit Ethernet Cards, and get a 16 port Ethernet switch.

Smoothwall will be doing DHCP.

I need to build a relatively cheap HTPC box, so Recommendations on that would be awesome (hardware that is, not a full on HTPC unit)
    I am not 100% sure on what video cards can pump out 1080p without a problem, hence the question.

There will be an Xbox 360 on the network, along with a PS3 possibly. I guess I could use the 360 as a HTPC unit, but It's not mine, and will be gone by the end of the summer, and am not 100% sure on its abilities.

I've gone over the Server articles, and will probably be setting up a server almost identical to the guides, main points are TorrentFlux (assuming my private tracker allows it), VPN, SSH. Anything else I could throw on there to play around with that would also be useful? (Maybe some VoIP via grandcentral and skype (or that other one))

I am undecided with using the box above as a file server also. Its between that and just setting up a box with some freeware NAS software on it (any suggestions on open source NAS software; and also any suggestions on which way I should go with this?)

Any other cool ideas to put on this network? useful or not so useful :) ?

And as a quick layout:

Code:

{INTERNET} ---> [FIoS Router] ---> [Smoothwall] ----> [GigE switch] ---> *

[VPN/SSH/TorrentFlux box]
                [NAS box]
                [HTPC]
    *---<    [360]
                [My desktop PC]
                [Roomates desktop PC]

Some more points of interest I guess:
    I have a crap load of random hardware sitting around (as do most of us I presume!), what type of hardware should I be looking at to run the VPN/TF/SSH/ETC box? If I do go the NAS route, TF will end up just downloading the files to a network share of course as gigE will have no problem handling that. If I don't go that route and decide to use the box to also store the downloaded files, what hardware specs am I looking at? (assume no more than 5 VPN connections)

I was thinking of putting a DC++ hub on the server, mainly for personal friends and family. what would that bump the hardware up to do you think? (assuming 20-50 DC++ users at most)

I am thinking a NAS would be better overall if I do decide to have DC++ running, as I could then just use one of my 400MHz boxes to run the DC++ server most likely. (though directly getting the files on the NAS to show up on the DC++ server would require me to run a DC++ client somewhere with shares that point to the AS shares! ugh)

Sorry about this secondary post almost! ha. suggest away!?

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I'm not sure what you plan on using the HTPC for, but if its just for playing media on the AV system i use my PS3 for that. i don't know if it actually puts out 1080p since i only got 1080i TV but it plays my 1080p video no probs.
    My setup has the PS3 getting its files over 10/100 from a NAS via upnp.. Its rather picky on its files though.. But i use H.264 encoded mp4 exclusively anyway

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If you're thinking about VoIP, take a look at Trixbox. It'll handle multiple voip phones (of which there are dozens of cheap phones available) with ease, and there ways of plugging in your POTS too.