1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build - Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMusician, 10 Aug 2009.

1. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Hi all,

So I laid out a proposal to my dad (he has the credit card- so my online purchases must go by him) of me purchasing two PCs for college.

One desktop (for heavyweight work and reliability) for my dorm, and one netbook (for notetaking and portable Wi-Fi). I want to order the parts of the desktop and build it ASAP as my current PC (which is actually my brother's old PC) is crapping out.

I came up with this $380 build:

= $379.94

I plan on using it for video-editing, audio-editing, 3-D rendering, programming, and in my free time, gaming.

I understand that the hard drive is technically a bottleneck, but I have read tests that show that it's not really noticeable at all, not even in gaming.

I would greatly appreciate it if you have any advice or suggestions for me. I'm on a pretty tight budget, $390 is the max I can go.

Cheers,
    TheMusician

Last edited: 10 Aug 2009
  2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

1) You said yourself that you're going for reliability, so I would urge you to take the price hit and grab a Corsair CX400 instead. It's a $5 hit now with a $20 rebate later (and Corsair is good about their rebates).

2) You might want to take another hit and get a Phenom II X2 545 over the 6000. You'll be glad for the extra cache. In fact, do it as part of this combo deal and you can actually get the better CPU and a 785G motherboard for only $5 more than the CPU/Mobo combo you have currently.

Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Now, that being said - have you taken shipping into account in your budget?

- Diosjenin -

Last edited: 10 Aug 2009
    TheMusician likes this.
  3. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

why exactly cant you get a little bit more money for a good PSU and maybe a nicer case? a hundred dollars more on the budget would buy you a much more upgradeable system ;)

if you must stick with this budget then that looks like a solid setup but I agree with jumping for the phII

4. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Thank you so much, Diosjenin - that combo was quite a deal. I just finished placing my order.
    May you have a good day and summer. :)

To SNiiPE_DoGG, thank you, but my budget won't suffice. Thanks for the suggestion though.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Get DDR2 800, the performance difference is minimal compared to DDR2-1066 and it's cheaper.

And find a cheaper 512mb version of the HD4850, or the GTS250(whichever one's cheaper). Or get the HD4770, all those cards are within the same performance levels, so the cheapest one is the best.

Also, don't bother getting the 1GB versions, the performance difference is really minimal and even if you play at 1920x1200, it still wouldn't help much as you would then be GPU bottlenecked.

Tags: