1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build need help (Now with Mockup Pics)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilikesimple, 4 Dec 2010.

1. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

Hi I'm planing a new build this Xmas after selling my current rig and after I have all of my birthday money.

Budget: £750 (May be slightly below or above)
    Main uses of intended build: Depending on Build. Either Gaming and GPU folding or just CPU folding on an i7.
    Parts required: Everything but Hard Drive as I have a spare 1.5TB
    Previous build information (list details of parts): In sig
    Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080 (Already Owned
    Storage requirements: None
    Will you be overclocking: If Possible with budget
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Not Important at the moment
    Extra information about desired system: I would prefer to get one of two builds:
    • CPU based PC (i7)
    • GPU based PC (GTX 580)

I have previously made a few mockups of possible builds on scan. Ill post them here as soon as I have uploaded them to my site or another picture site.

Update: Here are the pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Dec 2010
  2. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

In the 580 build, consider this motherboard. Also unless you plan to overclock the CPU on that build a lot don't bother getting such a good cooler. The Freezer 7 Pro or Tranquillo would do fine if you're not going to OC or you're only going for a modest OC.

For the i7 build, it's really really over balanced on the CPU side... I'm not sure how much I like it, but if all you'll be doing is CPU folding on it and no modern games then it should be fine. If I were you though, I'd get a slightly cheaper case and go for an i7-950 for the extra performance. Also that memory on your picture is weird o_O'''. I tried to look it up via LN number (LN36548) and I got this which is most definitely not DDR3 2000MHz memory... Your motherboard for the i7 build doesn't support 1600MHz memory so you'd have to go with 1333MHz (not good) or 2200MHz memory. If I were you on this build, I'd go for a different motherboard (this is usually recommended) and get 1600MHz memory .-.

3. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

I was planning to overclock quite a bit. I only chose the i7 930 for the i7 config as in reviews the i7 950 hasn't actually been able to overclock to the level of the 930.

Also on a note about the memory incompatibly I didn't realise that the board didn't support that memory speed, so it looks like i may upgrade to the sabertooth.

Also I may have to go with that AMD motherboard if I build the GTX 580 PC.

Thanks