1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New car time.... Again

Discussion in 'General' started by peteone, 28 Apr 2008.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well Its time for me to be getting a new car, theres 2 major competitors on the list and Im stuck between them, they both have their merits.

First off, BMW Z4, Id probably go for the 2.0 or 2.2 version. reasonable economy and insurance and a bit of a looker IMO.

Second is the S2000, great engine, quite fast but insurance group 20 and 28MPG are a bit concerning.

Anyone got any of the above? Any opinions?

Oh.. and anyone want to buy my A3? :thumb:

2. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

Z4's are teh secks, get one, they're just plain cool

3. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well its the Z4 Im leaning towards at the moment. Performance wise the Honda beats it hands down but for the full package I think the Z4 takes it. :)

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

The s2000 is crazy fast, my uncle has one. The VTEC engine revs like a... vtec engine :p And it has a starter button! It'll never break down, and looks the bomb.

The Z4 is very cool, very good looking, and the BMW engine is bound to be brilliant. The bold styling gives it sex appeal, but makes it prone to looking 'very 2006' and you might get bored of it after a while. Clarkson claims the ride is a bit choppy as well.

Other things you could try are the:
    Audi TT Roadster. Depending on your budget, you could get the old one or a new one. Black. With red seats. It can't be beaten.

Porsche Boxster. A mid range one. Guaranteed to be a good drive, though insurance might be an issue.

350z. A bit muscular, but looks like a barrel of laughs. Just be prepared to be invited to a lot of drag races.

Merc SLK. If your budget can be stretched, you might be able to pick up an SLK, which is probably the coolest car on this post.
    This one (not the hairdresser wagon):
    [​IMG]
    It'll get you ALL the girls and even some men. Makes you part of an elite class of people.

5. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I'm a honda guy, and i do love the sound of a fast revving VTEC, I'd personally buy the Honda, but a person I know has one, he said it gets old getting to the powerband at 7k RPM or whatever it is, some ungodly high number.

6. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Some good suggestions there, the SLK would be my choice if I could afford it but Im only looking to spend 15k max. Im on my third Audi now so dont really fancy the TT, I had major bother with my last 1.8T engine and couldnt afford the 3.2.

The porsche would be good but I reckon on the budget Id probably looking at something older than Ive allready got.

I did consider the 350Z but the insurance group and MPGs were a bit of an issue.

I think the reason Im edging towards the Z4 is, it has that German quality to it, the MPGs good and the insurance isnt stupid and I can pick up a relativly new one within budget. The best of all worlds really.

For my mind the Z4 looks fantastic too. Most reviews Ive read seem to be quite negative about the looks but I think its beaut.

7. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Yeah. The z4 looks brilliant. You'll fall in love with it the longer you have it. Most people who knock it haven't even tried it. I consider German quality to be superior, but the plastic-y goodness of japanese cars is also oddly sturdy...

Make sure it is polished at all times though lol. Don't know why, but I think it looks really good in white... and BMW is good for service, and build quality. Be prepared for rather high maintenance costs.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd say go for the Z4 - but go for the more exciting 3.0 straight-six jobs, you'll be able to find a decent enough one in your budget, and I'd say the extra age will be worth the bigger excitement. :D

9. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Yeah I know what your saying about white, it seems to be the new black :) The new Golf GTI, S3, Leons and BMWs seem to look great In white all of a sudden :thumb:

Apparently the parts and sevicing a BMW have dropped recently which is good news, cant be any worse than Audi anyway :)

10. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Id like the 3.0 but the running and insurance obviously goes up quite a bit. The 2.2 and 2.5 are 6 cylinder too, the 2.0 is only 4 though. I think Ill test drive the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.5, see how I get on. I reckon the 2.2 or 2.5 might take it as an all rounder.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Fair enough I s'pose - the 6's will have much better smoothness over the 4-pot, definately worth the extra imho. Nice cars the Z4 - when they first came out I thought they looked awful, but now they've started putting bigger wheels on 'em, with sane colour schemes (I saw one once in turqoise with a bright red hood) they're growing on me a lot.

12. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Z-4s are very nice looking. Although I drive a sedan and never have been in a Z-4, I do recommend BMWs. The other nice thing is they hold resale value quite nicely when maintained.

13. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

s2000 with a nice exhaust system sounds very nice. I work at a mechanic shop part-time (brother is mechanic, got me the job) and we had a s2000. They look sweet, sound nice, and parts are readily available should you want more power or looks (clean rims and a simple skirt package = cheesecake goodness) plus they pull and drive nicely, and it's a honda, so unless you change the stock chip, you really don't gotta worry about breaking it if you drive the crap out of it, just make sure you can shift... seen too many people come in to our shop to get tranny's replaced because they don't know how to shift properly...

You could also pick up a used BMW m3, drive extremely nice, luxurious, and they drive and pull very well. I know in Canada i see them being advertised at around 21000 Canadian for a 04 - 05. They look damn sharp.

14. RTT

RTT #parp

If you can't do the 3.0 Z4 at least, don't bother unless you're happy with all show and absolutely no go - no roof in the roadster = lots more evil weight.

I say sell all of your belongings and by a Z4M Coupe!

15. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The low range Z4's will be failry slow. I'd say that you at least need the 2.5L 6-cylinder to make it worthwhile - otherwise the S2000 will be a better option.

16. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I really like Honda's. Just bought a '96 Accord and love it.

:)

17. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Volvo V40 Estate 1.6 Diesel.

That's what you should get. :D

18. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Would you be able to afford the larger engine Z4 if you chose not to take BMWs optional indicators?? I think a lot of BMW drivers use this method to get the best engine.

I think there is also an option which only allows you to drive in the outside lane of the motorway?

19. peteone

peteone Minimodder

lol, yeah Ill deffo be going for the indicator pack.

20. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I like the tt, i like the s2000, i like the z4, i like the slk, i love the sl500 and i worship the sl55, but i'm too much of a tightarse so i'll go for something like a 200sx or a supra :D

Tags: