1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Card or Monitor causing ghosting?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dean R, 2 Jun 2015.

1. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I just bought an MSI GTX 270 and a 144Hz LG 24GM77 monitor.

I have a weird issue and I don't know which of the two is causing it.

Sometimes when I've not moved my mouse for a while and the screen flicks into standby, when it comes back on I have two overlapping images about 1mm apart. Sort of a ghost image but just as bright. This means that all text on the desktop is blurry and I can only fix it by restarting. I don't know what is causing it. I will try and post a picture next time it happens.

Apart from that they seem to be running fine. I've played the Witcher 3 on full settings fine, I just get lagging on any cutscenes at the beginning.

Any help would be great. It's more of an annoyance more than anything but just hope there's nothing wrong with either card or monitor.

Thanks.

2. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

The first thing you need to do is isolate the problem to either the computer/card or the monitor. And the easiest way to do that is to swap out monitors.

If the problem occurs with the 2nd monitor, you know the problem is with your computer/graphics solution. If the problem does not show up on the 2nd monitor, you know the problem is with the LG.

3. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

On the off chance you don't have a spare monitor, when you say restart do you mean the PC or the monitor?
    I assume PC so next time, pull the power from the monitor, then power it back up see if the issue is still there.

Also, check your cable if you can.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Are you running the latest AMD drivers?

5. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Late reply, but I reinstalled Windows and the problem seems to have gone. I was due a fresh install anyway so just brought it forward.

Still non the wiser as to what it is. It would be when the monitor goes on standby, when moving the mouse again and the screen came back on it would show a fuzzy/pixelated screen. Maybe that was a better description than 'ghosting'. The connections are not loose, it was properly connected via DisplayPort.

If I turned the monitor off, then turned it back on, it would completely fail to find a signal. So basically, I don't know what caused it. I would have to restart the pc to solve it, which is a bit of an annoyance.

Update: Just left the monitor to go into standby again as a quick test before this post, and its done it again. So I spoke too soon.

6. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

And yes I've got the latest drivers.

Can't swap out card or monitor as I've already sold them. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Can you try DVI input, see if it still does it then ?

8. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Fresh installs are never "due" with modern versions of Windows (W7 and W8.1). These modern operating systems are not XP.
    What was necessary (and often "due") with XP is most likely not with W7 or W8, and often is detrimental to them.

Beside often being set back months, if not years behind in security updates, if it fixes the problem, you don't know how or why so you don't know to prevent recurrence. And as seen here, reinstalling often does not fix the problem. :( Especially when hardware related.
    My next suggestion - HDMI has not migrated to the computer world as smoothly as its supporters would have liked. If your board and monitor support it, I too recommend DVI.

Does that mean you have tried this with multiple monitors and graphics solutions and it does the same thing?