1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer ...any comments

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slyf0z_87, 10 Oct 2003.

1. slyf0z_87

slyf0z_87 What's a Dremel?

going to get a new computer....these are my com specs

AMD 64 3.200GHz+ (do i need registered RAM?)
    Asus *8** something Nforce3 mobo or GigaByte 8KNXP
    Corsair TwinX 512MB PC4000 (X2)
    ATI Radeon 9800XT
    Seagate 36GB 10000RPM HDD (X2,RAID-0)
    Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM HDD
    Lian Li PC73SL alluminium case
    Pioneer 16X slot DVD-ROM
    Imation 52*32*52 CD-RW
    Philips 19" monitor(i heard 21" had that line thing?)
    Logitech Multimedia Keyboard Pro
    Razor Boomslang 2000
    Rat Padz mousepad
    Zalman something like flower heatsink and fan?

i heard EE is also good......but i'm pretty much a AMD fan. But i'll still try anything that is good....so comments please?

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

1. Yes, you do need registered RAM. Kiss that TwinX stuff good bye.

2. The "line" thing probably refers to the two grey lines that can be seen across aperture grill monitors. It's a small price to pay for a much brighter image, especially considering that the lines or only visible if you have really really good eyesight or have a white background. Don't worry about it, especially considering the the wires are what's holding the grill in place, so having them there is a good thing.

3. I believe you're refferring to the Zalman CNPS-7000 AlCu/Cu.

What do I think of your system? Well, for one thing, I think you have WAYYY too much money on your hands, especially considering the fact that I have none.

But, to be serious, you're a little misguided in your choices. It appears as though you're going for an uber-mad 1337 gaming system, especially considering you've got the ATI Radeon 9800XT in there. Athlon64 really isn't the appropriate platform. As stated above, registered RAM is required, which cuts down your choices by quite a bit. If you're looking to overclock, good luck. Registered RAM is made for reliability, not for overclockability. Now, that's not to say it'd be a piss-poor performer, but it's not the best choice. You should really look at the P4EE. Stick it in a Canterwood board, like the Asus P4P800 Deluxe, or Abit IC7-MAX and pump those FSB speeds up and up and up.

Moving away from the infrastructure, why no DVD burner? Even if you don't make movies, it's still mighty useful for backups. 4.7gb should be enough for an OS image, with some room leftover for personal files. Plus, it's not like their a luxury item anymore.

Getting a Razor mouse might not be a good idea, since the company fairly recently came back from bankruptcy, so support could be sketchy. Plus, it's a ball mouse. It's 2003, just about everyone and their grandma has a ball mouse.

3. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

i would get the A64 first to break the 27k barrier on 3dmark01 nad it didnt just break it, it smashed through it, it looks like its faster than the EE on a review i read. :D pls send me some money slyf0z_87 :D

4. Darv

Darv Bling!!

As far as I know registered Ram is only needed for an Opteron or an FX. The plain 3200 64 should be able to us normal RAM.

I'm not sure of this but I think I'm right.

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

think you are correct :D

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

The P4EE looks very strong, and 27k in 3dmark from an athlon 64 was done with liquid nitrogen AFAIK, either that, or it was done with dual prometia (one on graphics card, and one on the CPU). a realistic score on joe publics system would be around 23-24000 with an athlon 64. especially on air.

Registered RAM is a pain in the arse, but it's not that it won't overclock, it's finding some that overclocks well enough, although you could just up the internal bus speeds and lower the RAM divider :)

7. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Last time i saw their was 3 above the P4's, their was a duel pommie, but all the P4's at the top are done by the same methods, so a P4 on joe publics system should be slower than A64

Last edited: 10 Oct 2003
  8. slyf0z_87

my!! 27000?! Can i have the website adress?

so which is which now? Do i need registered RAM or not?
    if i don't ,i'll definitely go for 64,if i do.....then i'll prollly get the AthlonXP or EE.

Another question here.....what mouse should i get then? Logitech?

hm......it's not that i'm rich. I've been working part time while studying and now i've collected some extra money after slogging for 9 long months. My dad has agreed to sponsor 2000$ and the rest is under me....
    sorry guys.......

9. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

10. Carbon

Carbon Banned

are you made of money? :eyebrow: how much is that lot costing?

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

macci wasn't top last time I looked, and service.futuremark.com seems to be down :blah:

It was QuadDamage and his sidekick, his name escapes me at this moment in time, they got to something like 27.2k on an athlon 64 system.

The A64 doesn't require registered memory AFAIK, but, the Athlon 64FX does require registered memory. I'll try and find somewhere that says this is the case in a few mins.

12. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Nas is his sidekick and i think it was 27,240 around that macci didnt beat it by too much.

I think you will find this on Hardocp

13. slyf0z_87

no...i'm not made of money.
    my dad is and he's one helluva selfish guy.....

this rig .....cost around RM17000
    tat'd be.....around 4000 dollars and 2833.33333 pounds

thanks.....i see it don't need registed RAM.....so i'm gonna start ordering its parts now...thanks people
    luv ya

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

:jawdrop:

15. slyf0z_87

:blush:
    i'm planning to overclock it too....think how far can i get?
    might consider buying that sub-zero cooling item. Wat's it called agaiN? the 27KG big ass radiator stuff cooler....

any advices tat u guys can give me to avoid the condensation problem that might blow my expensive ass processor?

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think you're referring to a prometia, but, they're not actually made to fix onto athlon 64's at the moment :)

17. slyf0z_87

yeah!
    prometia......
    i know.....tat's where modding comes in

18. olv

olv he's so bright

I think you really need to do some reading before your start throwing money at a pc.

Bit-tech athlon64FX review will give u some much needed background info.

I know that athlonFX needs registered RAM but isn't it also the nforce3 chipset? or not? Also doesn't the VIA chipset offering perform better then the nforce3?

Bit-tech prommie article will also give you a good idea about this rather excessive cooling solution. only go with this if you really are serious about overclocking, otherwise it is a huge waste of money.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'd go and have a read of the Xtreme Systems forums if you are looking at overclocking using phase change, I thought about going to phase change, but then decided not to bother, at the end of the day, I'm not quite *that* hardcore.

I like to overclock, but I don't warrant the performance increase from a £500+ cooler for just my CPU... I've spent around £290 on a watercooling setup, but that includes my gpu as well as my cpu, the main reason for investing in this was to stop my room sounding like a wind tunnel. :)

20. slyf0z_87

thank gawd!!
    I've not got the processor and mobo yet bekoz u guys didn't really give me a proper answer.....

now i'm considering maybe the EE...beat FX quite a few test..dunno,i'll have to read your opinions first.