1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Firewire tech to offer 3.2Gb/sec

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Dec 2007.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Personally I think FW is superior to USB in so many ways but, like others here, I doubt it will ever surpass USB. However, imagine if this caught on and at least caught up with USB - motherboards would have to start coming with 10+ USB, 6-10 FW, 2 Gb Lan, 2+ eSATA, ...

2. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I would have to agree that this sounds like a great data movement port. However ethernet for lan side (including all the protocals already established for it), and current video ports (unless billions were spent to grease some palms at a lot of tv companies); and to finish it off the majority of periphials are USB.
    Why would someone want to have even more wires around for this device, or that device, or another hub to get this device to reach the pc without having to bend over and go through the rats mess of ports. (granted most modders have already cut there common ports onto the top or front, if the case didn't already have em)

Just let it die. I expect that once power over ethernet is ratified, we will start to see even greater speeds over our lans, and the backbone side. But it is hard to beat that most of your Radio recievers and dvd players, (even games systems), are using USB.

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I could never figure out why FireWire has never been adopted to the same extent as USB. Proprietary Apple technology, perhaps?

4. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Good plan, let's blame Apple

(Plus I think there's actually good reason too this time, bonus!)

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well it was originally developed by Apple so that could have very well had something to do with its overall acceptance and the fact that USB was originally promoted by Intel, on top of that USB was an open standard that was standardized by the USB Implementers Forum which the members of the organization are some of the big heavy hitter computer companies such as Hewlett-Packard, NEC, Microsoft, Intel, and Agere, where as Firewire was controlled under Apple so that probably made it hard for companies to get things done with firewire as they would have to deal with Apple and get their okay and you know how money hungry that company is and how hard they are to work with. So it makes a lot of since why USB is more taken then Firewire, at least to me.

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

IIRC Sony had something to do with it too...

1394 is the same as Firewire isn't it?:blush:

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The already-common use of Firewire in the market of A/V hardware (recording sound cards, mixers, digital cams etc) along with the Apple-association should see this S3200 FW gain/maintain some ground in that market, regardless of how much it achieves in the mainstream, so I think it's unlikely to flop entirely unless USB3 totally dominates it in every regard.

Competition is good. :)

8. Wayne Train

Wayne Train What's a Dremel?

Hi all, this is a little off track but I can't post a new thread. Does anybody know which brand of firewire chipset comes with an HP dv7t 3100 cto, i3 330m? HP doesn't know. I haven't received it yet so I can't go into the device manager either.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

If Hp doesn't know what chipset they're using, why are you buy from Hp then? I'd buy form a company that know about there own product

BTW start a new thread and don't bring up a 2 year old one

Tags: Add Tags