1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows New laptop COD4 stutter

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bonzo45, 15 Aug 2009.

1. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Hey all,

I just got a new laptop, and I'm really happy with it. I bought it from Tesco. It'll run source games fine (CSS, DOD, TF2 - L4D with some settings reduced) however sometimes (after standby often) COD4 stutters.

The frame rate is fine and doesn't change but it stutters when I'm walking and aiming. Restarting the PC fixes it and it'll run fine... but after it's been in standby it'll stutter. It is as if the mouse is skipping, however the touch pad still has the problem.

Has anyone had any stutter problems with COD4? Any fixes?

Thanks,
    Bonzo

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Which drivers are you using?

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Every laptop that I have owned that stuttered during games was always down to overheating. Make sure it is sitting on a smooth surface and not on your lap/couch/bed.

Bonzo45 likes this.
  4. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Hey, I updated the drivers to 8.15.11.8603 when I got it (device manager).

Overheating! OK... I was resting it on the bag that it came in, which, as I've just discovered was blocking a vent on the bottom of the laptop! Perhaps that was it?!?!? I'll try running Call of Duty for a while, do you think I've done it any damage?

Thanks,
    Bonzo

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Na it should be fine. Modern laptops just shut down when the temps get dangerously high.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Any stuttering I've had in CoD4 has always been related to the damn Punkbuster. Might not be the prob if it only occurs after the standby... Some power save settings maybe?

7. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Ah, that's good to know! First time I've had a laptop! I did put it into standby and it seemed to run COD with no stutter afterwards, (after removing the bag from the bottom).

That may have been it, I'll run it for a bit again, just to make sure, but thanks all for replies!

Last edited: 16 Aug 2009