1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Logo

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Pookeyhead, 21 May 2004.

1. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I like all the logos.

But I hate the colour scheme and layout... it's drab!

Sorry... but it's true!

2. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

i started sommat by saying i prefer the logo that had the UK flag in it didnt i

aww bloody ell tha as even took it off the main site

i tell thee all this fer nowt tha forums and tha mainsite eye thee looked riat grand wi t' UK flag on them

and anyone who cant understand yorkshire tough :D

3. spock

spock What's a Dremel?

Lmao

I know...I'm a pervert. But I can read binary...
    And ever since I saw the logo, I just smiled...
    But when I read about the removal of the british flag, and all that globalisation things... I've been LMAO....

Explanation:

0101.0101 0100.1011 (binary) =>
    55 4B (hexadecimal) =>
    U K (ASCII)

Guess it was really hard not sneak that UK someplace...... :hip:
    [okay, what do I win?]

4. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I hate to say it, but I don't really like the new logo. Sorry. Too texty-ish, not much like a logo at all tbh. :sigh:

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This is our third logo and by far the best. The last logo was hard to integrate into things because of it's shape. Having had this logo on my case for the past year I have grown used to it.

6. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I have to agree that the main page logo is a little large (but not that bad).
    The forum logo is fine, but prefer the version without the forum-graphic in the background.

I would like to see a little mention of the UK roots - it's not a flag which is going to alienate anyone, maybe just use the colours? Then again, those colours are used in lots of flags, and some (one?) of those could turn some people away.

Advertising is necessary, and I wouldn't be upset if I was asked to click a couple of ads for you. (I've got google ads on my site and haven't read whether or not you're allowed to ask people to do that...)

PS - what is the font you use for the logo? (slap me if that was already answered)

7. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

I didn't mean to get rid of the adverts, because obviously, you cant do that but just move them so there is not huge adverts in my face. Like that Abit one, hidious..

The forum image on the forum logo I like though, it looked a bit odd before but now it looks good.

8. TMM

TMM Modder

i agree with jazzle. the one on the main site is a tad too large, and the forums one looked better before the text thing was put behind it :thumb:

also remove the links under the logo (on the main page) going horizontal across the page. They have no purpose since they are on the left menu anyway.

9. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

OK, I've had some time to take in all the comments and thought I'd feedback to everyone on some of the design changes.

Firstly the actual bit-tech logo.

Bit-tech.net has grown dramatically since the original logo and it simply didn't suit itself to the kind of site we've become. I liked the previous logo (clearly, because I designed it), but I also felt that the time had come to move on and have one which looked like something you would see on a business card, or letterheads as we actually need things like those now. I know we've had a few complaints, however it's also human nature to fear change. The logo you're looking at now, is the only logo where every single member of the bit-tech staff said 'Wow, that's the one'... The reason we took change better than some people is that we knew it was coming.

Even though we are still a UK site at heart, we're no longer a UK site in practice. We deliberated that one for a while and we knew that it would be silly to pigeonhole ourselves as a national site when we were more than capable of handling international coverage. So, the flag went and as props to our heritage, what was to be random binary around the logo became 'UK'; still there as a secret handshake to you guys.

Yes, it's a little large on the front page, however this is a facelift and not a redesign. It was the simplest way to get it in there keeping the original design templates.. we literally just dropped it in.

Forum Logo

This is a tricky one as I only have a little amount of space to work in. The lucky thing is that the forum logo can evolve as I get comments and decide if things look right or not.. I wanted something a little more 'active' but not the same old format with our new logo splatted on it. It might change again, who knows.. personally I like it, but if everyone hates it, I'll do something else. The main thing to remember is that it's what's in the forums that counts not what the logo is at the top. :)

Tell you what, if you want a better forum logo.. put a thread together in here and post up some visual mockups. If I see something I like, I'll work it in. It's not a competition and I won't just use a logo verbatim, but it might serve to make me spot something I didn't think of.

Ads

Come on, these are a necessary evil. No-one likes ads, but they're the only sure way to sustain a decent revenue stream to even pay the bare minimum hosting bills, you all know that... Unless one of us wins the lottery the ads aren't going to go away, so the best thing you guys can do is make the most of them so that we can continue to keep the site running. Just bear in mind you're not seeing full page flash ads, pop ups/unders/outs..

Hopefully that clears up a few points as to why we did this.. but you'd better brace yourself for a complete change at some point ;)

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I like that ghosted text. I think it's nice.

11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

All and all it's nice, I must say. I miss the old one, but lurking around here for a year or two reading I grew attached to it. What can I say, I'm an angelophile. :thumb: Anyway, the new "facelift" is nice all in all, but the two things I wonder are this: 1) will there be a place to see all of the old layouts, and 2) why oh why is "front page" listed twice on the left hand nav. links? Thanks! :D

12. Pookeyhead

It would be nice, yes. I bet you anything, that if this site was US in origin, the US flag would be retained, no matter how international it became.

A subtle, watermarked union flag on the round .net part would be nice. possibly 2-tone blue... like this perhaps?

13. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Well that's the difference between blind patriotism and actual common marketing sense. Like I've said, I'm sorry if some people can't let the fact we've removed the UK flag go, but it's not coming back.

People need to stop thinking of their country being the centre of the universe and consider that, just because we're UK in origin, doesn't mean that we have to cling on to bowler hats and cups of tea in order to maintain our heritage.

14. penski

penski BodMod

Style over heritage every day - I love it :)

This is one of the world's leading tech sites and as such, the change in logo makes complete sense as bit-tech has evolved over the last few years. It has been mentioned already but it is an international site.

*n

PS: the binary should be 0010101001101110

15. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

Agree'd. Or..

01001001 00100000 01101000 00110100 01111000 00110000 01110010 01100101 01100100 00100000 01100010 01101001 01110100 00101101 01110100 01100101 01100011 01101000 00101110 01101110 01100101 01110100

Thats lots of 0 and 1.

*n

16. Pookeyhead

Damn... gonna have to learn this binary.. it's like a whole new language.. LOL

17. TMM

TMM Modder

penski wannabe???
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

*cough*americans*cough*

19. RTT

RTT #parp

Hah, i actually went and checked the binary in the images thinking you were implying there was a mistake... :duh: Crafy sod ;)

20. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

For some reason I thought I'd hate the new logo when I first saw it a few months ago. But now I actually like it. Looks more professional just like the site has evolved. Clever idea sitcking the UK bit in binary remembering your roots is good.

The old logo will still have a special place in my heart as it reminds of my first visit to bit-tech, the friends I've made through this site and the vast amount of knowledge I've had acess to and for getting me starting in modding.