1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New mod idea!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by XpeteX, 22 Nov 2001.

1. XpeteX

XpeteX What's a Dremel?

Ok basically i want a real cheap and nasty cd rom / dvd drive then i can mount vertically in the front of my case with a round window, so it spins up when my pc is on......

Now is there a way to make is spin 4eva??

I also want it to be quiet so a silent cdrom drive will be needed.
    The cd itself will be coveren in glowing shiit with a small uv above it

*NOW TURN OFF THOSE LIGHTS!!!*

What do u all think??

2. squishedhog

squishedhog What's a Dremel?

Possibly short the IDE pins on the back of the drive somehow? Not sure on the IDE spec but I'll have a look into it

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Or move directly... you're taking it apart anyway, find the spin motor, see what power it need, solder some lil wires from it to the power pins (via resistors if needed), put a cd on the mounting spindle thingie and close her up again (after fitting your window o/c)... Easy as cheese,

r.

4. squishedhog

And if you're doing it that way - why not attach a pot to it so you can vary the speed of the drive motor :D

5. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Ahh you could always do this either way... just put the pot on the supply to the drive, much easier to have it external.

r.

6. squishedhog

On the 12v molex?? never thought of that one!

Then mount it on a baybus or similar and you have variable speed uv cd g00dness :D

or even ditch the idea of windowing it, and drill a hole in the case and mount the drive electronics inside it and the spindle outside, then just put a cd on the spindle and let it run... only thing is, you'd lose the UV idea cos you'd not really be wanting to run a UV light outside the case!

Neat idea about the pot on the feed tho cheese :)

7. Slink

Slink B7

Yep great idea having a variable on the power lead, Nice idea about the mod too

8. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Not seen the variable speed implimented before but people have made working windowed cdroms... I'm not too keen on the permenently spinning cd mod, why not just buy a £3 motor, attach a cd to it and shove it in your case? You don't have to agree with me but I prefer things with function :)

r.

9. Slink

Slink B7

indeed this is a useless Mod, but it might look prety, then again it might look pants, but whatever takes your fancy i supose