1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jenemba55, 12 Oct 2011.

1. Jenemba55

Jenemba55 What's a Dremel?

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

If you can extend your budget by just a little (£30), you can get a decent IPS screen which will have better colour reproduction and viewing angles (and build quality and stand) than the monitor you listed.

Like the LG IPS231P-BN here

3. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

What do you intend to use it for, and what resolution are you wanting to run at? I'm *very* impressed by my Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM that arrived the other day, cost me £188 from PC buyit with the code from TFT central's review. It's 23" 16:9 at 1080p. Very nice IPS monitor if you can stretch the budget a bit.

4. Jenemba55

I'm after a 1080p monitor as intend to use it for gaming but the lg looks nice if i can find another £30 but i doubt ill be able to get another £88 for a while :/

5. Jenemba55

The Dell U2312hm looks really nice and i mean if i could stretch the budget this would probably be ideal for what im looking for.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

LG make an IPS screen for about 150 on amazon

7. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy an IPS screen.

lol.

8. Jenemba55

9. Jenemba55

lol how come ?

10. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Thats the one I listed.

If I was you I would get the LG, the Dell is also good but not worth the extra imho.

11. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Its all good man, buy an IPS monitor, end of the day it makes marginal difference on your overal visual experience. Just maybe glance over some of the threads lately about IPS monitors it makes for some overly dramatic reading.

12. Jenemba55

okay thanks ill take a look at some reviews and threads then get back you

13. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

notsureifsrs

it makes a massive difference. you can easily tell from picture quality between ips and non ips. im pleased my u2711 is coming tomorrow.

14. Jenemba55

ive had a look through and it all seems mostly positive but there's just something about
    "blueish tint and all the colours are washed out" according to an Amazon reviewer but on some other websites it doesn't seem to mention this so I don't know what to believe :S

15. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

I was recommended a IPS monitor, I was not sure what the big deal was about but everyone here seemed to recommend I get one and I wanted the monitor to last me, so I went ahead and got the LG IPS226V for £130 (Only one that was within my price range). I can tell you it makes a huge difference. I have been using it for the best part of a month but I still am not over how great it looks, I frequently stop in games and just admire the colour reproduction - hmm maybe that's a negative haha. Though I was using a cheap LCD prior to the upgrade so I cant comment on the difference between a top end LCD and entry level ISP, id imagine it would be notable though.

The LG IPS226V is still going for under £140 on Amazon, id say its well worth getting. If you don't like it Amazon are pretty good on returns, I was allowed to return it (even if it was perfectly fine) for up to 30 days.

My only issue with the entry level IPS screens is that they use a cheap anti glare coating that is very grainy. Its very noticeable when on full white, but that's about it and you get used to it. Not a big issue for me, but its worth noting.

Keep in mind that if you don't really care about graphics and colour reproduction but more about convenience and features, going for a entry level IPS may not be the best move as they often lack the features of the non-IPS equivalent. I have also heard the slow response times of IPS panels can be a issue (not noticed it myself) but perhaps if your a hardcore gamer with heightened senses, you might just notice it.

Edit: Amazon is selling the 226V for £125 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS226V-PN-inch-Monitor-Screen/dp/B00535PZGG

16. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

17. Jenemba55

Thanks Metaporic, if its as good as you say it is then it is definitely the sort of thing i am looking for, the anti glare coating on the screen is what the Amazon review said was causing the colours to wash out but although response times are important id rather have better graphics and a slower response time than the other way round.

thanks you've given me something to consider.

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

19. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

Keep in mind the response time is anything but bad. I think it ranges from 6-12 MS with a average of 8 MS. That should be enough for most people.

I think when buying a monitor its important to see it before you purchase, if you have any good hardware stores near you perhaps see if they have a few IPS monitors you can try out. See if the colours are as killer as you'd hope.

Their are also a few videos on youtube comparing IPS to non IPS, they give a good idea of the difference in quality and benefits of a IPS over a TN, defo worth checking out

These two in particular are ones I found useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXcNlh85Ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmCKbhARJg - The 236V is just the 23 inch version of the 226V

20. Jenemba55

Thanks im probably going down to a hardware store this weekend to look at some monitors in-store but the video really shows the obvious difference between he two screens it seems I underestimated the IPS.

Thanks allot for all the help