1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oreon_237, 11 Dec 2008.

1. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Even after upgrading my current PC its still slooow. so its finally time for me to get a new PC. I need some advice, i have looked at the bit-tech buyers guide, and now have a mix between the budget and the high end.

What i have

[​IMG]

total= $2062.77

my budget is $2200 NZ at the moment, might be able to spend a bit more. I still need to buy a screen and a keyboard. The computer will be mainly used for image editing (with files on external hard drives), programming, and a bit of gaming on the side.

should the core be changed to the Q6600? or is the dual core sufficient. Is the xigmatech cooler needed to overclock the e8400?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2008
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I know the processor comes with the mobo as a deal but that's the weak link to me. I readily admit that I've been out of the loop for a while, but unless that's some uber OCing chip I've not heard of, I'd really think about a E8400 as there are some great deals at the moment (in the UK at least).

Good choice of HD.

RAM should be OK.

Killer mouse... don't know how I lived without mine.

I've always used Lian Li... so thumbs up from me there too.

Never heard of that PSU, sorry... only kidding. Read some very good reviews about Corsair PSUs lately.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The 4870's are getting a price drop soon - should be down to about $260ish.

Other than that, the weakest bit is definitely, as pook says, the processor.

4. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

I came to my senses and changed the processor to the e8400 (it was either that or the Q6600, still not sure). heard good reviews about the hard drive so its sort of 'why not.' + its cheaper per GB than the 1tb spinpoint (20c per gb vs 25c per gb.) RAM? hate having a mouse without a scroll wheel!

NZ'ers on this forum seem to have an obsession with lian li.

How soon are we expecting this price drop? Is this $260 price in US$ ?
    changed the processor to an E8400