1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Q6600 Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fluxity, 8 Oct 2007.

1. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

This is a little over due but I need to make a new pc to speed up my uni work as my AMD 3000+, 1GB RAM and 6600GT rig is probably going to die this year. 2nd Year of CAD 3D Modelling & Animation, for anyone that cares. Just generally need some advice and opinions on what I have so far.

Any who, onto the rig:

Motherboard: Asus P5E iX38 (edit: VV Possibly that one or the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 iX38 Express as Dual LAN is helpful)

Or is the Asus Maximus Formula SE iX38 worth the extra £50? As most of the DDR2 p35 mobo's seems to have disappeared. Or better (for stability, overclocking, features etc) DDR2 x38 suggestions that aren't crazy expensive?

CPU: Q6600 G0 Stepping

Looking to Overclock to a bit over 3Ghz, something like 3.2Ghz would be nice.

RAM: 4GB - 2 sets of 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800)

Do you actually need 4GB? as it seems crazy not to atm seeing as it's so cheap? or is it better to get 2GB of better DDR2?

Graphics Card: 320MB BFG Technology 8800GTS Overclocked, PCI-E, Mem 1600MHz, GPU 550MHz, 96 Streams, 2x DVI/HDTV

Is the OC2 a better option? or is it better to go for a 640MB? As I don't really want to spend the extra cash as I don't really play games, but do have a 24" Monitor

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 (edit: Changed to Scythe Infinity)

Did a fair bit of research for some reason but ended up seeing that this performs pretty much the same as the rest of them but it only £15. Will I be able to get okay temps with this, if I am clocking the Q6600 to the stated speeds?

PSU: Corsair 520W HX

Should be plenty for this right? I only have 1xDVD RW Drive (Possibly 1 more in the future) and 1xHDD

HDD: 500 Gb Seagate Barracuda

Case: Antec P182 Advanced

Sorry for the million questions but I want to get the best rig for the best price, as well all do ;p. This lot comes to a bit over £850 atm. Thanks for any advice/opinions any of you have to offer to help me on my way to actually ordering this :D

Last edited: 8 Oct 2007
  2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Ahoy hoy!

I have a few suggestions/ comments, but none that are truly negative :)

I can't comment on the mobo's I'm afraid, but I can comment on GPU, RAM, Cooler and PSU, get the 640mb 8800GTS version if you can afford it, it will really make a huge difference and last much much longer before requiring an upgrade.

4GB of ram I would fully support, especially if you are going for vista (32-bit included), it loves the ram, if you are going to run XP, then 2gb should be fine. 800 Mhz stuff is more than fine, especially 4gb of the stuff. Not sure about X38 but I know that my Striker cannot run 4GB at more than 800 mhz anyway (I originally had 4gb of 9200 flex xlc, but when I tried to OC it to run at 1000mhz then it wouldn't boot).

As for CPU cooling, the freezer 7 is fantastic, a wonderful cooler, if you are running stock or mildly oc'ing. What you want to do it probably past it's abilities, you would need a scythe ninja perhaps (for 3ghz) I would expect 3.2Ghz to in the realms of liquid cooling (however, G0 steppings units maybe able to cope on air).

Finally, PSU, good choice :)

3. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the help, will alter a few bits and see how big the hole in my pocket gets. Definitely don't want to spend more than £1000, will see how it goes.

The Bit-Tech peeps got the Q6600 to 3347Mhz on air using the Scythe Infinity, so will have a gand at the Ninja and see if it actually fits on the mobo

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

640MB GTS' are being relaunched at some point - might mean prices are going down on old stock.

500GB Seagate 7200.11?

5. Mother-Goose

I agree, under a grand is good.

Where have you got your prices from btw?! I'll on scan and see how I can get it specced for around £900 to give some wiggle room if you want?

6. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

Yeah, trying to get it all from Scan

The Ninja you need to get a Fan as well don't you?

With an Infinity on there and a BFG 640MB at 1600 n 550, it's at £922

Bindi, is this relaunch anytime like real soon? As I'm pretty much looking to order like tonight or tomorrow lol. Obv can wait a week or 2 if it's soon but other than that i think i'll give it a miss. I've been waiting too long as it is

7. Mother-Goose

[​IMG]

I did it without the infinity and stuck it with the freezer just for arguments sake.

Are you eligable for free delivery?!

8. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

Thas pretty much exactly what i've got, just with the Infinity atm. Yeah, I can get the free delivery

I've never really taken any notice of HDD performance, so is the 7200.11 with 32MB Cache be that much better for the extra £23?

9. Mother-Goose

I have just re-read your above post, I missed the fact that you don't really game.

Does this mean you won't at all because you've got a console, or does it mean that you don't at the moment but you could be persuaded if a decent game came along?

The reason I ask is because the 8800gts 320mb would indeed be fine for desktop use, even 24", absolutely no problem for desktop use.

10. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

haha, ah right.

Yeah, I have a 360 so do all my gaming on that, hooked up to my monitor. Think the only games i've ever play on this are F.E.A.R, Gunbound and Worms Mayhem haha. F.E.A.R obviously the only gfx intensive game where my 6600GT was still able to play it on moderate setting which was OK for me.

So i'll prolly knock it back to a 320MB then. I think 3DS MAX only uses the gfx card for viewport speeds so the 320 should be plenty

11. Mother-Goose

Yup I'd save the cash and stick with that for the time being, if you need to upgrade in the future then there will be DX10.1 cards out by that time.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

currently running at 3.2Ghz 400x8 with a wrongly applyed Arctic Silver 5 and a crappy Zalman 9500. temps never go above 65c :clap: (FYI, it's G0)

currently, 2x2GB is a bit expensive? and the latency isn't very good. why not get 4x1GB?

320MB should be enough for a while, but why aren't you looking into a HD 2900Pro? heard they are a beast after overclocking. :eeek: (and you have option of full 2x16 crossfire with x38)
    the OC2 and OC version makes no difference if you are going to overclock your graphics card. i bought a BFG 320MB OC, and simply overclock it to OC2 speed will save me a few quid.

for motherboard, X38 may be a good choice after a few BIOS updates, but i would not recommend being an early adapter. better read some reviews before decide on a board, so you won't do :wallbash: later

13. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

I am going for 4x1GB, I just copy n pasted the description.

Good call on the HD2900Pro, It's cheaper and looks to be better too. I've always been an Nvidia fan so didn't even think about ATI, Prolly change up for one of those. Main reason being because I can't be arsed to overclock my graphics card. If it's not too much hassle i may give it a bash.

I wanted to get an Asus P5K Deluxe but Scan don't do them anymore. May change for the Abit p35, hummmm

14. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

ATI :wallbash:

Sorry, GTS is faster. And they also overclock.. Plus, you don't get such crappy drivers, nor do you need a 143,297,434 jiggawatt psu to run it, and it won't be hotter than the surface of the sun.

And the soon to come™ drivers still aren't going to make it faster.

15. Mother-Goose

The power requirements part of this little rant (nicely executed by the way! Kudos) is spot on, the 320GTS will be nicer to your power bill :)

16. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

Alrighty, I guess i'll stick with what I have.

The only thing i'm still unsure of is the motherboard. To go x38 or not to go x38? that is the question. Or go for an Asus P5K Premium

17. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

Decided on the P5K Premium as the benefits of x38 on a DDR2 based rig is near enough non existent and the early BIOS settings won't be v.good. Only benefit is Crossfire which I prolly won't be using as 3D stuff doesn't need an amazing card.

Cheers for everyones help (Y)

Thanks for anyone that can reply quickly to this, but >> Will the 520W Corsair HX deff be enough? or should I go for the 620W?

18. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

520 is fine.

19. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

ORDERED

Thanks people
    ---------------------------------------------
    /END/CLOSE/DELETE

20. Mother-Goose