1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking New Rig - First BitTech E2160 clocks? Come help me clock!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 12 Jul 2007.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Just finished putting my new system together, specs:

Corsair HX 520W
    ASUS P5B
    Core2Duo E2160
    P180
    Artic Freezer 7 Pro
    2GB DDR2-800CL OCZ 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC
    8600GTS 256MB

Now for some overclocking, yet to see any E2160 results on BitTech. I'll post the CPU-Z and Super-PI screenshots asap.

-Kicked off with:
    Bus: 240mhz
    Multiplier: x9.0
    Voltage: Default
    Success - Stable
    Result: 2160mhz

-Took quite a jump to:
    Bus: 300mhz
    Voltage: Default
    Failure - No boot

-Decided to increase the voltage and disable some of the more useless bios features:
    Bus: 300mhz
    Voltage: 1.45v
    Success - Stable
    Result: 2700mhz

Now I'm actually a complete novice at this form of clocking, the last thing I OCed was my XP2500 to XP3200 which was a simple case of just setting the FBS to 200mhz. So I'd like some advice on where to go from here, what sort of voltages I should stop at, how i shoud alter my FBS and Multiplier, etc.....oh and I honestly have no idea how to approach the RAM settings, I've pretty much left then alone for now.

Come help me clock!

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I'm not to sure about voltages, I wouldn't increase them unless you have to. Always make sure your temps are under control, I think 65c is the max thermal limit for Allendales and Conroes. For the ram, leaving it at 1:1 is probably best as that way you know the ram isn't hindering your overclocking. Be sure to check for stability with Orthos or Prime and 3DMark, etc... so that you know it's really stable at those speeds and not just able to boot.

3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Graves right about the temps. Rise the FSB up to 400mhz, should work, and multi down to 8. Nice 3.2ghz, which is common for these chips. Then test. Actually, test BEFORE the clock boost. Of course, don't clock while your stock cooler is in (I read the other thread). Memory timings could be tightened (to 12), though not needed.

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Cpu is currently the same 2.7ghz

Memory is at 4-4-4-15 right now as it's 1:1 its 900ish mhz (cant remember exactly)
    But there's loads more settings....i assume 4-4-4-15 is set by the first 4....what exactly r these settings called and should i touch any of the others?

Going to do some heavy tests today: 3Dmark07, Prime, and FootyManager (as it uses intense cpu :p)

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Oh and I'm still using WindowsXP, Vista dosn't seem worth the hassel yet I'll see if SP1 improves the situation.]

But I'm using 32bit XP right now, will I notice much difference swapping to 64bit, is it worth the hassel?

6. lamboman

They are memory settings. I would stick to the first four, theses re the ones people actually know about, and not many people know about the others. Though, wikipedia will come in handy. I wouldn't really touch them if you don't understand them.

Switching to 64 bit XP will just cause problems, it hardly worked. But 64 bit Vista is OK, though some problems still arouse (minor games probs)

Also, the memory would be running at 600mhz to be 1:1.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Thanks, I'll stick with XP (32bit) for now.

How do you work out what the memory devider is going to be btw?

Memory is currently at 900Mhz 2:3 multiplier (4-4-4-15) which the chip at 300Mhz x9 multiplier @ 1.4v (2.7Ghz)
    I'll try for 400Mhz x8 multiplier later, so the memry can 1:1 at 800mhz (4-4-4-15 or 12)

What's the general rul on voltage? something like don't go about 1.6v?

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dont go higher than 1.45V! 2.7GHz is very good. 1.23V will be after Vdroop, it's normal.

10. lamboman

Yeah, I would avoid going anywhere above 1.45, as these chips are not designed for a voltage as high as the core 2 duo range.You should be good for 3.2 ghz though.

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Cheers, won't go above 1.45v at any point then. I'm currently using slot 1 and 3 for my ram (yellow slots on P5B), is there any preference over slots used, or dosn't it really matter?

I Ran 3dMark06 without a hitch, what sort of 3dmark should I be getting out of my system? Just noticed that 3dmark for some reason registered my ram as SDRAM rather than DDR?!

Goign to test Prime for a couple of hours at current speed, then I'll try for 400mhz (x8) next. But I've heard P5Bs do best keeping a x9 multiplier and just altering the bus speed.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2007
  12. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

It doesn't matter what slots you use, or at least it shouldn't. After you get the ram/cpu to 1:1 at 800mhz you should try lowering the timings on the ram and see if you can get 3-3-3-9 out of them. No clue about 3dMark, but your ram is DDR2-SDRAM so it might have just left off the DDR2, either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tags: