1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sound Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harrybo, 31 Aug 2007.

1. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

I need a new sound card! What’s the best sound card out atm? I was looking at the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro?

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I like my X-Fi, but frankly the drivers are so god awful that I'd never buy another one.
    It depends on what you do the most. If it's games go for the X-Fi, if it's music/movies go for something else.

3. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'd say the X-Fi, I only use mine for games (bought the Fatal1ty1 version with the breakout box to have all the necessary knobs and connections at the front) and I can't fault the quality of the X-Fi, the sound is simply fantasic. I use a pair of Steelsound gaming headphones (the one with the retractable mic, can't remember the model number, 5v2 I think) and the surround sound effect through a standard pair of headphones is just wonderful.

I play iTunes through my 5.1 speaker set and the music sounds okay to me and I'm not aware of having any driver issues, in fact the reason I bought the X-Fi was because my Audigy2 card was having the stuttering problem with Half-Life2 when it first came out. Upgrading to the X-Fi solved the problem but I do believe that there are still issues with Vista and the X-Fi, I think its the EAX side of things thats the problem. I still use XP myself, Vista sound like to much of pain in the backside at the moment, and can I just say - dual boot? Are you a glutton for punishment? Its bad enough to have your resources hogged by one O/S but two? Seems to much like a recipe for grief for my liking. Good luck to you, I reckon you'll need it.

4. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

What’s wrong with dual boot? I may have named it wrong or something but my PC starts up and I simply click XP or Vista and it loads either one as it would if you had 1 O/S. I have 1 HDD with vista and 1 HDD with XP on btw.

5. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

Im a gamer so is it sensible to just buy the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer @ £88.00
    or
    wait and spend £211 on Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro with X-Fi Console
    I mean are they the same cards? because they look like it!