1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Tomb Raider demo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 3 Apr 2006.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

How rude. :D

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

for whoever is bothered get ready for some big pictures
    first is standard settings that i played the game with in good FPS and quality.
    2nd pic is next gen content enabled and its unplayable for me on my AMD 3200+ and 6800GT gives me like 3 FPS :)

Water does look better than in the screenie when you are moving around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not got those problems and I have X2 and 7800, a lot of people tell me about similar issues with Dual core and other games I have not experienced one, did you install the processor driver and hotfix?

If so try setting your power manager settings to another option like minimal or is it the reverse and take it off minimal, Dunno.

Shame I haven't got a clue how to play the game and can't get out of the first bit by the pool, any tips will be appreciated, via PM obviously so as not to annoy more adept players :D

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Imho:
    Tomb Raider = Revolutionary (compared to Duke Nukem 3d, doom2, and such that were big around then)
    Tomb Raider 2 = Evolutionary (added vehicles, more in the way of water, weapons etc and the story was still decent)

It was about that time they signed a deal to develop for the PS2 and stopped doing more than small tweaks to the graphics (after all the PS2 couldn't handle any more) and knocking out second-rate levels, stories etc for a quick buck (after all, lara was a celebrity by then, who needed good games to sell :rolleyes: ).

I didn't realize till recently that the original creator actually left the company after the original game :eyebrow:

Demo-wise, maxed settings (1280*1024) and got 60-78 or so fps (no next gen of course)
    Controls made it a little obvious that it was a console port (mouse just doens't work properly in menus for instance)
    Graphics were fine/good, the "drips when wet" was er .. interesting :eeek:
    Voice acting and dialogue was fine (most don't do that well I think, but it could still be better)
    Fighting could be a touch better, but I haven't played with all options (noticed a "manual aim" in the controls i think I didn't try ?)
    Overall ? I'l definetely consider picking it up I think .. but I've got at least half a dozen games to play already (on top of my eve addiction :hehe: )

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

other guy had a 7800 too so im just going to put it down to a graphics card thing
    i do have the hotfix and whatnot, i said that twice already :p
    i dont have any dual core problems in other games that i know do have the problem if you dont have the patches

it did have the nvidia intro thingy so it seems its optimised heavy for nvidia hardware, as it looks like ass on my x800 even with all the settings on high :\

that first screenshot posted above looks way way better than it looks on my system :\

6. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Okay so can someone give a clear solution (or something that can attempt to solve it) to the "game running at a hyper speed" problem. My system is in my signature FYI. Bear in mind I'm only playing the demo but I'm assuming that if the demo is like this then I'll have the same problem with the full version.

Thanks in advance.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If its dual core affinty as suggested by Hamish you could try a number of things that could fix it

assuming you haven't set up your machine, install the AMD processor driver

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

have a read of this to see what we are doing

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256/en-us

The hotfix file can be found on a number of websites, no need to contact microsoft

install the hotfix file below

http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

do this as mentioned in hotfix file
    before restarting make sure your boot.ini has /usepmtimer

to do this bring up Start and recovery options which are in System properties -> Advanced and then the settings button under startup and recovery, click edit to manually edit the start up file

will look something like this
    if usepmtimer is there close it all down with no edits, if not put it in, restart the machine and then try TR.

I take no responsibility if you damage your machine, I am just describing what I did

another option that supposedly works is to run in win98 compatibility mode, not tried this.

Other than that you can set the executable to use a specific core with the following ( back up original .exe file as this modifies the .exe )

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

Thats something I have used in the past that works but since doing the driver and hotfix I haven't had to do any game, whereas before NFSMW gave issues etc.

Hope you get it working, then you can tell me how to play it :D

BTW, this is not my solution, it was somewhere on Xtremesystems

Last edited: 5 Apr 2006
  8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

[​IMG]

She, er, dropped a penny. Honest.

Next-gen gfx on, as well as everything else. Got a bit choppy at native 1280x1024 in the manor, so set it the next res down. A64 3000+ @ 9*275HTT, 7800GT o/c. Oh, and updated NVidia gfx drivers to latest whql, didn't realise I was a few behind on 81.something!

I've got up to the puzzle with a seesaw, two boxes in the pool and a box above and I'm kinda stuck. I'm pathetic, I know :) Oh, and a tiger.

9. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

lol sandys to be honest when I saw your post all that seemed awful daunting. But I went ahead and gave it a start by installing that AMD driver, and it's solved the problem completely! So thanks a lot mate! :D

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Cool, right get on and play it and tell me what I have to do in the first scene :D

So you just installed the driver and did none of the other crap right? Interesting, perhaps I did stuff I didn't need to, its all working well so I'll leave it alone for once :D but if I have to reinstall for any reason I will try just the driver.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2006
  11. Bladestorm

Similar system here to sandy, I believe I installed the amd cpu driver and a microsoft duel core fix and that was it, didn't change any file or registry settings, not been having a problem.

For Kenco, if he wants to read it anyway :)
    Push a box up onto the end of the seesaw nearest the entrance so its just on the end (push too far and it slides back) now climb up onto the central catwalk and onto the highest stone near the other end of the seesaw - jump onto the end of the seesaw that doesn't have a box :D

Took me a while to figure out too :)

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This is embarrasing that I can't even move on in the first few minutes, I kick some stones, wander around the pool, go inside it etc. but can't find out how to progress, I feel like such a muppet, I can see all these things that are just out of my reach like a vine above the pool and a number of platforms, please somebody tell me what I need to to.....don't make me beg anymore :( There are only so many times a guy can restart and kick stones before giving up :D

I must be missing something obvious.

13. Bladestorm

Umm, gimme a little while and I'l edit-in an start guide for ya ..

Edit : here we go, the start area, which is probably half the level truth be known.

Turn right
    Jump the gap
    Go into the water under the waterfall
    Jump up to the ledge at the far side of the pool
    Push the big rock off
    Jump the gap
    Climb the vine
    Jump right from that vine to the next
    Jump to the ledge
    jump to the vine in mid-space
    swing and jump off the vine to the cave
    go through
    Jump up and grab the small ledge above
    shimmy along the ledge left
    at the far end, jump backwards to the ledge
    Avoid death by rock!

Edit add #2 : Tried manual aim also, while it did what I wanted and gave me a crosshair and manual firing, it also turned all of the movement controls into moving the crosshair .. Ugh Eidos did yet another poorly thought out PC conversion didn't they :wallbash:

Last edited: 6 Apr 2006
  14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

So do you need SM3.0 for the "next-gen" content in the full version?

ch424

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Thanks Bladstorm, I'll try that later though I am sure I had done similar :confused:

Tags: Add Tags