1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs New TV for grandparents

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mm vr, 31 Jul 2009.

1. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

After seeing my new 46" Panasonic plasma, my grandparents have decided to buy a new TV aswell. :D

They are paying it themselves (obviously), and their budget is in the 500-700€ range. The cheaper the better, but I don't want them to buy crap in a plastic box (they were going to do it already but I stopped them) so I'm asking here.

Their living room is pretty small and the closest watching spot is like a meter from the TV, so I've been thinking of a 32 incher. No plasmas are that small, so it's got to be an LCD in this case.

The TV will not be connected to an audio system, and no DVDs or blu-rays will be watched from it. Only broadcasted TV.

I was thinking of an LG 32LH4000 for 500€, is that any good? edit: Only one problem with that; It's sold out (their stock is over -25) in the place where it costs 500€. A second place sells it for 600€ and a third for 666€. :eeek:

Any alternatives, suggestions? Thanks!

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Being honest; unless your grandparents are videophiles, it wont really matter as long as you go for a good brand.

LG and Samsung have really stepped up their game when it comes to design recently. Both brands new sets are really good to look at. As far as I know, Samsung have the edge when it comes to colours and black levels, but LG have a much nicer menu setup with big icons. Good for older folks.

I'd go take them to a store and set them loose with a remote and see which one they find easiest.

A target price for a 32 inch over here (£) would be about £450 - £500. I wouldn't spend too much less than that, but anything more that £450 will be absolutely fine.

Hope that helps.

Tags: