1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs New TV help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mm vr, 7 Jul 2009.

1. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I saw this thread recently which reminded me about getting a new TV to finally replace my 28" JVC CRT from the early 90's.

I didn't want to hijack Frohicky's thread so made my own one.

I've looked into the Panasonic TX-P50G10 and TX-P50V10 models but they are a bit too expensive for me. The former costs about 1700€ and the latter about 2000€ here in Finland. They look great, though.

I'm able to spend about 1500 euros on it, but I'd prefer something in the range of 1200-1300.

A plasma model is on my mind due to better image quality, and the higher power consumption doesn't matter much because I don't have the telly on all the time.

I'm looking for a 50" model, but 42" might do the job. 50 is preferred though. A model being able to do Full HD is highly preferred.

I really don't know at all what to look at, any suggestions? Thanks!

2. mm vr

A local home electronics shop has a sale and they have 42" versions of the X, S and G models for pretty cheap. The X model is not Full HD -> out of question. The S one is a further crippled version of the G, even has a worse panel, but not much cheaper. If they sell the G for below 1000€, I'm getting it!

Comparison of the models:
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...TX-P42X10&p=TX-P42S10&p=TX-P42G10&p=TX-P42V10

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Have a look at last year's Panasonic models like the PZ85 series. Right now the TH-42PZ85EA is sold here in Denmark at the laughably low price of DKK 4999. Puts a new spin on the term "dirt cheap".

OK, so you miss out on the new NeoPDP panels, but imagequalitywise there's not THAT much gained with the new panels. Incidentally, you also miss out on the 24p issue that's plagueing the G1x series. :)

Just leave those "1 digit" models be, i.e. PZ8 == NAY!, PZ80 == YAY! (yes, there's both a PZ80 and a PZ85 series :))

4. mm vr

Didn't go for the P42G10, it was 1400€. :/

Thanks for the reply azrael! The Panasonic TH-46PZ85E is going for about 1200€ here, it's perfectly priced and sized! :clap: Shall I order it?

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It's a great set and the price seems fair too (though not as insanely low as the offer on the 42" here in DK :)). Here and here are two reviews of the 42" in case you haven't read up on it. Wouldn't want you to go on my recommendation alone... :)

I just remembered that DVB-C and MPEG4-capable tuners only started to appear in this year's models, if that's important to you. Panasonic did some special versions (PZ81 and PZ86) of last year's models for the Norwegian market, but I'm not sure they're easily obtainable outside of Norway.

mm vr likes this.
  6. mm vr

Yep, also remembered that when looking at the specs. Cable is something I won't ever need, but the lack of MPEG4 worries me a bit. I'm hoping this TV to last for long, and a HDTV tuner is a kind of a must in that case. Although it's still not sure if the HDTV standard that will be taken into use after years will be the same compatible MPEG4. If it's not, all TVs with the old non-standard MPEG4 tuners are useless (without a separate HDTV box, in the same way as we use digital boxes with old CRT tellies).

The 81 and 86 models aren't available here.

Thanks for the review links BTW, gonna have a read.

edit: Tried this HDTV selector just for fun, and guess what it recommended! The TH46PZ85B and the TXP46G10. :)

Uhh damn these model names...

- I bought a Corvette today!
    - Sounds great! I bought a... eeh... Panasonic H46PZ85B last week!

Last edited: 7 Jul 2009
  7. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Thanks for being considerate :D only two weeks until the move and I can order the bluray player and tv, will post how it all looks and sounds.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hope everything works out for you. Which tv set did *you* go for eventually? :)

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I know you like the look of Panasonic Plasma screens, but have you looked at the Samsung LCD range? Theres even the new LED range from Samsung, which, when i looked at one, had an incredible image (i was in Carrefour (France) though)

I know if i was to look at Plasma though, the Pioneer Kuro's are the best of the best, just a shame Pioneer have dropped the TV market completley, however, Panasonic have the Kuro rights so we should see some nice things pop up soon enough.

Just something for you to think about.

10. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

11. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

Although the 50 inch would look nice, I think 42" Tv's are far better, you have to spend at least £2500+ for a high quality flat screen TV.

12. mm vr

Thanks for all your replies!

Just ordered a Panasonic TH-46PZ85E for 1175€ from Verkkokauppa.com.

Will post back my thoughs when I get it (should take about a week). :)

One thing worries me though: How am I going to get the sound to my amplifier? It doesn't have HDMI connectors. Is it possible to only take the sound to it, and have the picture stay in the TV?

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

the TV will have an optical output on the back so you can run a cable to your amp that way.

14. mm vr

The mailman brought it today!

First impressions: It's great. (could be because I've never owned a flat TV before)

My amp (Yamaha RX-V340) only has one Toslink on the back (and it's for the DVD player and is actually reserved already) so I had to use RCA for the sound. Seems like it's new amp time when I buy a blu-ray player in the future (doesn't have HDMI or even component, just RCA RCA RCA). :(