1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Ultrawide monitor. Is G-Sync needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AngelOfRage, 5 Apr 2018.

1. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I'm after some advice. I'm looking at a new monitor and I want to go for 3440x1440 Ultrawide. I have a Geforce 1080ti and when looking, I want to know if am I limited to just monitors that have G-Sync or could I get a Freesync monitor, but just not use that feature. Would I be missing out not having Gsync to go with my Nvidia GFX card and would Freesync interfere with it working well?
    It will be used for mostly RPG and RTS games, rather than FPS, etc.
    Thanks.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

In order to be able to use G-Sync both the GPU and monitor need to support it.

You can use a g-sync monitor with a freesync gpu or vice versa, but you will get zero benefit from g-sync / freesync in that case, but it will work just fine like a conventional monitor that lacks either.

3. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

OK thanks. Are the benefits of having G-Sync worth it to only consider g-sync monitors or are the freesync options good enough to consider as well?

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You have an NVIDIA GPU which, as above, will only let you use G-Sync.

It’s worth it for the smoother experience, but only if you can afford it or justify it to your wallet. The tech comes at a premium, because NVIDIA want royalties for it.

5. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Given that you're after a super premium product anyway, it surely makes sense to go that little extra for G-Sync

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I don't know how I managed before G-Sync... it's such a smooth experience, I wouldn't be without it now.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

This. I have done 75hz Freesync with a RX480 and 144hzG-Sync with a GTX1080, both were HUGE jumps in enjoyment over a standard fixed 60hz monitor. Of course, everyone will have different opinions on how much of a difference it makes for them, but there's absolutely no way I would go without one or the other if I planned on doing any gaming in the future - even with relatively slow genres like RTS and RPG's.

Seeing something like SupCom running at 120+ FPS with every laser, shell and robotic leg articulating in pure fluidity is memorising.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  8. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Thanks for the advice folks. I've ordered one with G-Sync now :)

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

IMO, I haven't noticed having freesync on tbh, other than lack of tearing. Not that I've switched it off to do a side by side comparison.