1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Western Digital SATA hdd, DOA?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ReFredzRate, 16 Dec 2005.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I've received an 80Gb 7200rpm SATA WD harddisk, which seems not to be working. Since you guys probably have more experience on SATA than me, I thought I'd get this to your attention.

The disk I received seems to be a DOA, which is not too great. When I plug it into the SATA connector and the molex connector and I boot the pc, this is what I hear:

*tick*............................*tick*............................*tick*............................*tick*............................*tick*............................*tick*

What do you guys reckon?

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It's not good..at all.

Sounds totally ****ed.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Sounds a bit buggered, but try different cables/computer just to be sure. If you've just got ti though you shouldn't have any problems in RMA'ing it.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I've had to RMA my raptor, and it was sent off on tuesday, and today, according to the tracking it's still sitting at the airport waiting for delivery to Germany, if if you're in the UK you might have a bit of waiting to do.

Best to RMA to the shop if you want it replaced ASAP

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

And that folks, is why I always recomend Seagate.

Harsh, probably, but the number of WD drives I've had fail over the years is 100%. That's 20 drives of my own, and unGodly amounts of customer/friend's drives. Hell, they even chopped their warranty down to a year. They have to know something's up, why else would they do that?

/rant off, yeah, try another cable, also check to see that the SATA power connector is OK and the PSU is as well, just in case... I may hate the company, but I hate to see anyone's computer down worse.

6. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

That sucks guys :( I think I'll drop by the shop tomorrow morning and get it RMA'd with a Seagate then. Same price, and if this is what WD stands for, I don't want another one again.... ever. I've had several Seagates, they never failed on me either. I've had several Maxtors, some of them failed on me. I've just gotten my first WD, it fails on me.... Great....

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about seagate on this forum, I think I know what make of drive I'm going for next :)
    (um, hitachi, becuase I need a matched one for a RAID, but you know what I mean)