1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink New York Trips any recommendations please

Discussion in 'General' started by dave454, 17 Nov 2010.

1. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

hi i am looking to go to new york next year with my gf for around 5 nights just wondering if anyone has been and would have some recommendations for me ie hotel flights etc , ive had a look on the net but i dont have a clue where the best place to stay is and best locations etc so if anyone could help that would be good, cheers.:thumb:

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I've just come back from there quite recently, and a few guys helped out with suggestions:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=192144

My tips:

Book an evening ferry trip on the Circle line 42 - I watched a beautiful blood red sunset over NYC (and on the night I booked there happened to be a fireworks display over NYC, which was incredible). Make sure you wrap up warm for it, it gets cold.

I went to the top of Empire State at 10pm on a Friday night, booked tickets in advance and had virtually no queues.

I can't help on the hotel front but try and stay on Manhattan Island itself, either midtown or downtown as that's where the fun is.

I'll try and find out the name of this F'd up Japanese restaurant I went to - it served bull penis, turkey testicle and bukkake udon noodles....hilarious fun!

Other than that, buy a Rough Guide to New York book as they always have solid suggestions on places to stay/things to do/places to eat, and pick up a copy of Time Out magazine whilst you're there to see what's going on.

3. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

thanks alot for that i will check it out always wanted to go to newyork.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I stayed at the Affinia Dumont last time i was there and it was a good hotel 5 minutes walk from the Empire State building and near the subway. Following advice on trip advisor we emailed ahead and requested a high corner room with a view of the Chrysler building which we got and was superb. Any hotel you do go for ask for a room on the upper floors as New York is a noisy place.

Also look into hiring an appartment as we did that on our first visit and rented a really nice one in the upper westside for less than a decent hotel.

5. LJF

LJF Modded

I went in 2007, back when you could get dirt cheap transatlantic flights. My mates and I stayed in a dorm in a hostel for 4 nights at $13 a night (~£6.50 at the time).

We did the whole trip, 4 nights in NY, flights, trains from Sheffield to Gatwick, a night in a travelodge at Gatwick AND spending money for under £500.

I'm just glad I got the opportunity because now that would be almost impossible. Rough and ready, eating at deli's and fast food, drinking at dive bars and a good hour watching some crazy guy on a dance machine in a sweaty arcade on the outskirts of chinatown. He was obscenely quick. I'm not sure that'd be the kind of trip your girlfriend would be into though!?