1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V newbie nees help with buget 4.1 system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CHRISS, 12 Jan 2003.

1. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

hi
    is there a 4.1 amp for less than 150quid??? i cannot seem to find one but i am new so maybe i am looking in the wrong places ( i have tried the usfull links) maybe it is too ambitious but i am hoping to build a decent speaker system for less than 300 please bring be back to earth it this is way out :D
    i was looking on maplins and saw some cheap speakers but am a bit unlear how to work out how to match tweeters mid ranges and subs ( RTFM's are fine as long as i can find the M's since i cant seem to find any)
    also links to general info much welcome( have tried google but i am totally new to this and i think i am using the wrong keywords or somethig)

[me embarresed]

2. micb

micb Minimodder

What are you going to use it for movies, games and music?

It is going to be connected to a computer or standalone in another room?

Do you want full 5.1 surround for movies or is stereo fine?

Do you want all in one system or full seperates audio system?

3. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

i only have a 4.1 surround soundcard so 5.1 is not too good. i would like to use the full capeabillity of the 4.1 in DVD's and games ect
    i am beggining to think i will have to do some more saving i think since i would like to have quite a bit of power and amps that have 4.1+ that are expensive and not very powerfull. ( would like about 70W per chanel:D

4. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

well you can still find the cambridge soundworks 5.1 analog speakers still knocking around, there about 60 quid, but I havnt seen them online much. Try your nearest hardware retailer.

EDIT if your quick http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.htm

they have them on today only. So be rapido!

5. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

6. micb

micb Minimodder

The receiver is very basic, it does not have Dolby Prologic II which I feel is important for a AV receiver to have.

Dolby Prologic II give full 5.1 surround from a two channel sources, it is great for stereo VHS players, computers or Sky\cable TV viewing.

DTS is also usefull for some people when viewing DVD movies.

Off the top of my head good budget receivers are the Denon AVR 1602, and the Marantz SR4200.

IMO It is worth saving and getting something a bit nicer.

7. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

it seems to do everything i need from it and i am on a very tight buget.
    sorry but what exactly? more class or better sound quality?? something like that??( sorry i'm new to all this)
    also i have good( i think) instructions how to make speaker enclosures but am still unclear which tweeters to go for and how to match them to the woofer/midranges
    where is the best place to buy bare speakers? i have looked on mapplins but everything else seems expensive so i do not know if i am getting a good deal of not.
    thanks for the help so far:)

8. micb

micb Minimodder

Very cheap receivers are generaly not very good.

1)They often missout sound formats, DTS, Prologic II.
    2)The have little or poor bass management for speakers and subwoofer integeration.
    3)The the power ratings are often very missleading.
    4)They sound is considerably worse than models costing slightly more.

There are good budget receivers out there Denon and Marantz are primary choices for budget quality.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2003