1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards newbuild advice - any AMD matx boards with...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewelshbrummie, 22 Mar 2019.

1. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Nearly 3 years ago I created a newbuild thread for a gaming rig in the US (if you're interested, the link). I finally got the paperwork signed off 2 weeks ago so will be making the move next month.

Thoughts have changed somewhat since then as I think itx is too small for my inner data horder but matx would definitely work and be preferable over another full-ATX build. Also, AMD now has good CPU options and 1440p60Hz gaming is within my GPU budget. Total budget is around $2k (excluding taxes). I need everything except keyboard, mouse and Windows licence.

This will be a gaming rig but I'll need space for data storage - I can't think of a better backup than having copies of everything I want to keep on both sides of the Atlantic. I don't think a NAS really suits my needs so would like to keep everything in one box.

Current parts list:

Case: Thermaltake Core V21 (supports 3x3.5" & 3x2.5" drives - ideal for me)
    RAM: GSktill Trident Z 2x8GB @3200Hz
    PSU: Seasonic Focus Platinum 650W
    GPU: RTX 2060 (probably the Gigabyte mini ITX model to keep visibility inside reasonable)
    SSD: 2TB Samsung 970 evo (trust me, I'll use the space)
    Cooler: A 240mm AIO of somekind, possibly the Corsair H100.
    Monitor: Dell U2518D looks nice, I find 27" monitors too big and ips is definitely a preference over 100Hz+ TN panels. Plus it's 1440p and has 3 inputs which I may end up using.
    CPU: Core i5 9600k or Ryzen 5 2600
    Mobo: Asus - TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING (WI-FI) or ???????

That comes in at $1990 before US sales tax. The SSD takes a quarter of the budget but ideally I'd like to just use m.2 drives for the time being until I get round to moving the data from my UK based rig,

The motherboard is the big problem. The only matx options have been Asus Intel based boards that have the features but are pretty unexciting and lack the clean look of the atx/itx ROG boards (e.g. the Z370 matx ROG board had a vertical mount for the 2nd m.2 slot). On the AMD side is... nothing. I haven't found anymatx AMD boards with:
    • built in wifi
    • 6x sata
    • 2x m.2
    I'm happy with everything else but I'm open to any recommendations for matx boards with the above. Thoughts?​

Last edited: 22 Mar 2019
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not sure about mATX with onboard wifi but ITX boards like the Asus ROG Strix X470i do. That only has 4xSATA though (ITX have no more AFAIK(?)), although I can't see on your list why you'd need 6?

I don't believe there are any mATX X470 boards but there are some B450 mATX boards but I don't believe they have onboard wifi. :confused:

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The AMD mATX models are lacking in high-end options, sadly.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Asus just launched the TUF B450M-Pro Gaming.

• 2x M.2
    • 6x SATA (Shared with M.2 slots)
    • No built-in WiFi, but a usable PCIe x1 (above the GPU slot, not covered by it!) to add it.