1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Newbuild gaming rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewelshbrummie, 4 Dec 2020.

1. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Just after some thoughts on a new rig for myself.

I'm now in the US so am starting over. After 4+ years of planning I'm finally in the position with the budget and means (i.e. usable US bank account) to go ahead with the build.

Budget, including monitor is $2K before .

The only hardware I have is a UK keyboard (I refuse to use a US layout on principle) and Bluetooth mouse. I do have a spare 10 Pro Windows licence so that's covered.

It's intended to be a gaming rig but with GPU overpricing/scalping/lack of stock I'm happy to build the rest and wait on the GPU for now, since it's replacing an empty space on my desk/my 5 year old HP laptop that desperately needs a Windows reinstall (it's the only computer me and my wife have that works 90+% of the time). There's little point in waiting for DDR5 or new CPUs when it's replacing an empty space.

Targeting 1440p/60Hz. Anything more than that will be excessive. As it stands, Red Dead 2 is the toughest challenge it will face for the time being.

I also want something smaller than the Antec 1200 used in my UK rig but big enough for multiple HDDs so that I can use it for bulk data storage, in part so I can have a proper backup for the data on my UK rig. Something that can hold 3 or more 3.5" HDDs is needed for 3x8TB+ drives (it's a variety of data so I don't really need a NAS - keeping everything in the same box is preferable).

Thinking of the following:
    Case: Thermaltake Core v21 ($70) (3x 3.5", 3x 2.5" slots)
    Motherboard: Asus Z490-G (wifi) (£233)
    CPU: Intel 10600K ($260)
    Cooler: EK-AIO 240 ($169)
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 ($92)
    SSD (boot): SK Hynix P31 1TB ($135)
    PSU: Seasonic Focus 750 Platinum ($144)
    Monitor: TBC (possibly Dell U2520D @$360 - I find 27" monitors too big)
    GPU: ideally 3060Ti or 3070, when they're at RRP.

I'm up to $1450 pre-sales tax for the above, not including a GPU or monitor arm (probably need one considering the 2 cats we have that love hanging out on the desk.

Basically I'm planning on building in the next month. Intel non-F makes sense considering the GPU shortage, but I'd go that way anyway as I want an mATX board with 6x SATA, 2x m.2 and wifi and the Asus board above is the only board with all of that without compromise that I can find. I can't find anything on the AMD side with all of that (and that's before we get to the lack of APUs that are 6 core and not OEM).

Obviously the PSU can be swapped out for something cheaper but I'm after a fully modular unit with 650W minimum for a 3060TI, 750W for a 3070 should that make sense. Alternatives would be great.

Keep in mind that I haven't upgraded for 7 years and despite moving across the pond it's only now that I'd consider upgrading my 4670K had I stayed in the UK. I'm intending this build to last a similar amount of time.

Any suggestions/thoughts on the above?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

How about something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nhnDJf

You can easily replace the CPU with a 5600X when it's more readily available.
    I got the monitor price from Acer themselves.
    Everything else seems attainable.