1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding No Fan PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wilkyboy, 3 Mar 2006.

1. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, ive got a VERY noisey x2 80mm Fan Purepower Butterfly PSU. Its really starting to bug me as its the loudest part of my rig. I have a p180 case (where the psu has its own chamber in the bottom), and i was just wondering if you think it would be safe enough to remove the 80mm fans and mount a quiet 120mm fan behind it (drawing in air from the front, pushing it out through the PSU, as this is the only way the air can travel) do you think it would overheat, killing the PSU?

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I think this would work, as long as the 120 mm fan isnt going too slow. It would be best if it was running at a full 12V. Once its running try running SiSoft Sandra and check out the PSU temp, see if its reasonably low. You could also just replace the loud 80mm fans with some quieter ones.

3. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

If you have enough room, this is a better idea.
    [​IMG]

120x38 fan, "far" away from things, which means less noise.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Skylined is right. No matter how overkill that is.

5. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

Looks great, too bad my case has the "Wind Tunnel" as i call it, where the PSU is kept separate from the rest of the case by a metal panel :S. i really only have a place behind the PSU (which is where i was planning on mounting the fan). Would attaching to 120mm fan onto the PSU be the only way to efficiently cool it? Or does it not matter that there is about a 5-6cm gap between the fan and the psu?

It Would be somthing like this:
    [​IMG]

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I think idealy it would be best to have the fan bolted right to the PSU so the air doesn't slow down before it reaches the PSU.

7. freemc

freemc What's a Dremel?

I agree. Make the backside of that psu as open as you can. Then put some mesh in it. Then place a silent but not too slow 12cm fan as close to it as possible.

8. megatron

megatron What's a Dremel?

Ive got the same case, and I think the way to make it more efficient is to cut a big whole in the side of the psu facing the fan. Note:eek:nly do this once the psu inside is removed. Mine has a tiny grill that side, so the air is not directly flowing though the psu. The psu is not on the case floor however. Im looking at the bare shell and the 12cm fan on the bottom will still operate as normal (normally facing the cpu heatsink).

If I was designing the case I would rotate the bottom of the psu facing the wind tunnel and have the power lead come out the side of the case (and ofcourse free flowing at the normal power lead location.

9. SAS91

SAS91 What's a Dremel?

As said before, it would be wise to mount a 120mm fan on the bottom, however i would also suggest you exchange the "outtake" fan with a silent 80mm to ensure that air isnt pushed into the PSU and then left there.
    After reading the above posts as well i realise it isnt possible to mount it on the bottom, but pherhaps two silent 120mms in the place of the 80mms if that is possible? Is there any harddrives blocking the entry ? or is it a clear air tunnel?