1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"No I swear I'm a CD ROM drive."

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eliminos, 25 Sep 2005.

1. Eliminos

Eliminos What's a Dremel?

So I finally got round to rearranging cables so I could plug my DVD drive back in. (The time to use a DVD finally came). But the problem is, Windows insists that it is a CD-ROM drive. Whenever I put a disk into it it spins and whirs and then stops, and it insists it doesnt have a disk in it. If i right click on this 'CD ROM' drive and click eject, the DVD drive does eject, so I am looking at the right one.

Help.

2. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

What is the BIOS showing it as?
    For some reason since a format Win XP now identifies my DVD/RW as a cd-rom drive. But it still workes as a DVD drive. I can still burn dvd's etc.
    However my BIOS detects it exactly what it is, so i'm not too worried.
    Have you tried unplugging all your drives except the drive in question? Try running it as master/slave and seeing what happens?

3. Eliminos

BIOS says drive is DVDROM 1 0X

I'll try all the rest.

screw it I'll just dig out the external one.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2005
  4. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

May sound silly but have you tried a CD in there? Or is it definitely just DVD's it's having trouble with?

5. Eliminos

Tried a CD and they work.

6. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

That is really weird, my course of action would be to try another 80 pin IDE cable, then try and update the firmware, failing that, try it in a mates system if possible ;)

7. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

This has happened to me many times before (usually with Sony drives, go figure). A firmware flash has always done it for me, just Google the model number and enough should come up.