1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows No network connection icons

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Barrahazard, 6 Nov 2010.

1. Barrahazard

Barrahazard Life is too short to rush

Hi guys,

I am having issues with a Windows xp media centre edition installation.

I had to do a re-install of the whole system because there was so much junk on it but the junk only slowed the machine down... the network devices etc. still worked fine.

When I re-installed I saw there was no icons in the network connections window in the control panel so I went to the device manager and sure enough the network card was not installed.

A downloaded driver and re-start later there were still no icons. Plan B.

I looked at the xp services running and noticed that the network services (all of them) were not running so i started them up and sure enough I got an icon pop up in front of me that said acquiring ip address!! I thought :D until it was still doing that 10 min later do i tried disabling the network connection and re-starting the system. still no luck.

Any Ideas? It is a Dell Dimension 5150 and the network card is Intel PRO/100 with the latest driver from dell.

Cheers,

Barrahazard

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Get the latest chipset drivers from dell site

3. Barrahazard

I have the most recent drivers from dell (downloaded on another machine then installed via USB pen).

The network 'services' were set to manual and were not running. when I told them to run the icon appeared but it didn't function properly.

I set them to automatic and restarted the computer but the icon was gone again when re-booted :( starting them manually was the only way to get it back.

I checked in msconfig that they are set to run on start up but it is not playing ball...

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

dells site can be a mare at times. I have downloaded incorrect drivers as i have chosen the incorrect OS? Have you checked the BIOS in case there is something wonky in there?

5. Barrahazard

there have been no changes to the bios since the system was functioning properly so i cant see any reason why it should be that. I will double check the driver version for OS compatibility.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Just had a flash back to some thing with a Dell tech support rep a while ago when we had a weird network issue going on with a Dell machine. Pull the CMOS battery for a few minutes with the power unplugged. We were sceptical too, but it worked.

7. Barrahazard

I have had a look through some other forums and they mostly talk of replacing .dll files to resolve the issue not installing drivers (although in my case i had to).

I am having an OS issue not a driver/ bios issue.

I have been told the following .dll files are necessary up to now;

netshell.dll
    netcfgx.dll
    netman.dll

They are all on the system and in the registry.

Any other files I should be worrying about?

Cheers, Barrahazard

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Did you try the cmos battery. I know what you are saying and when the dell Guy told us we didn't believe him either but it worked. If you have tried it and got nowhere try either a system restore if it ever worked after the rebuild or a repair.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

also if that doesn't work.. d/l service pack 3 and update windows xp- then reinstall all the necessary drivers

that should get you up to date if there's anything missing

10. Barrahazard

See that is exactly what I thought (sorry I should have said this before) I have installed SP3 and re-installed drivers but still nothing. It is incredibly frustrating.

I dont have access to the computer at the moment (it is at my granparents house) so I cant try the CMOS trick but I will definately give it a shot when I can.

11. Barry_White

Barry_White What's a Dremel?

I have come across soemthing similar; we got round it by adding in a generic PCI Nic card just to get the PC directly on the net so you can try the update drivers option in device manager.