1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays "No Signal Detected" Monitor stopped working

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Todstar, 26 Oct 2009.

1. Todstar

Todstar What's a Dremel?

One day after switching my PC off by holding down the power button the monitor can no longer detect any signals from my PC.

The monitor displays nothing except a message stating "No Input Signal".
    I got a new monitor and it displays "No Signal Detected".

I have checked the graphics card and it is displaying a green light indicating that it is still functional. When I swap in another graphics card from a working PC the monitor still detects nothing. I have also tested the card in all of the other available slots. Furthermore I have tested the 2 Ram cards seperately in every slot with no success. There has been no funny burning smells from the computer or any indication that something isnt working. I have also tested three types of Monitor-PC cable: DVDI-D (dual link), DVI-D (single link) and VGA to DVI-A. I have tested it on a monitor which functions properly with other computers connected. I have tried clearing the CMOS between tests too. The whole computer has been vacuumed and also the plugs after some dust build-up so I am left to believe it is a motherboard malfunction due to some dust having caused a short-circuit or more likely a power surge as I dont have a surge protector installed.

Computer Hardware:
    MONITOR = BenQ G2220HD
    CPU = Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67Ghz
    GPU = Gygabite Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
    MOBO = Gygabite-GA-EX58-UD5
    RAM = CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit
    PSU = Hyper Blue 850w 85% Efficiency SLI Ready
    O/S = Windows Vista 32bit

I would like to know is there anything left to test? or is there any way to know for certain if it is a motherboard issue (since all components seem to be working)?.... things are looking grim as i can't find my receipt for the hardware and the pc has ran extensively for 1year. :waah:

Last edited: 26 Oct 2009
  2. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Did you boot it with the peripherals removed (Mouse, keyboard etc.), because I had the same problem once and it turned out to be a bent pin on the mouse plug. It is a long shot but it's worth a try, if you haven't done so already.

Good luck.

3. Todstar

Todstar What's a Dremel?

Yeah i have tried that too :sigh:

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

As you say, you beleive that it could be the motherboard, does the computer POST / make any bleeps when it powers up?

If so, what are they?
    Example...
    1 long = all ok
    1 long 3 short = failed display system.

5. Todstar

Todstar What's a Dremel?

Depending on which slot my Ram is in, the computer sometimes beeps once, but mostly doesn't beep at all. And that is a short beep.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2009
  6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Another long shot, but have you tried another graphics card mate?

7. Todstar

Todstar What's a Dremel?

yes i've tried another graphics card as mentioned in my first post second scentence so it isn't the graphics card, the monitor or cables preventing communication between the PC and monitor.

8. Todstar

Todstar What's a Dremel?

All I really need to know is, is there a way of knowing with 100% certainty that it is my motherboard malfunctioning or could it be another fixable issue? Otherwise i have to blow near £200 on a replacement unless i find my receipt.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

10. Todstar

Todstar What's a Dremel?

Well, I got the system tested for free, and it appears to be a motherboard malfunction.

I was told I'd still be able to get a replacement without a receipt if I show them the serial number on the motherboard box proving where it was purchased.

Thats quite a relief since it's a high performance i7 board thats quite pricey.

When I get my new board am gonna overclock the CPU to 4.0GHZ, after I get a decent air cooler like the Titan Fenrir.

Thanks for your help guys :rock: