1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Noctua NH-U12P

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Jan 2008.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

When I look at how big heatsinks are these days, I find it hard to believe that my cpu is cooled by that little aluminum crap :rock:

[​IMG]

2. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

funny you should review this. i just ordered 2 noctua case fans (120mm and 80mm) yesterday for the comptuer i'm building mi nan xD

i'm curious how good they will be, the specs look fantastic. might get miself some at some point :9

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

still a bit away from low fan speed on Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme.

i wonder if the new Coolmaster's V12 will beat it, with fans on low......

4. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Was a little confused by this part ;)

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

awesome review for an awesome product, ya Noctua has really impressed me over the years.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was in two minds - should have been provide. Prevent corrosion, provide resistance against.

7. Player-x

Player-x What's a Dremel?

Even do the fans from Noctua are great, and i tested them out on my water-cooling rig
    I changed them later for SiletX fans and got cooler CPU temp Nr's, and still a even more silent running case.

Haven't tested this new fan but looking at the Nr's, my SilentX fans still beet him hands down.

NF-P12: 19.8dBA - 92.3m³/h (54.32CFM)
    IXP-74-14: 14dBA - 72CFM
    http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-74-14

I used several of these fans, 2x 60mm 1x 90mm in a HTPC and 2x 120mm in my h20 game PC, all standing in the living-room and have to check them when i go to bed if they are off, because you really cant hear them.
    Don't now about the warranty but the 120mm fans are running now for 2.5 years whit np and if they breakdown soon i will still haply pay the 2x $20~$25 they cost then getting other one's

Imho they are the best fans i ever had.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2008
  8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Imho also the most expensive fans i ever seen besides pabst fans. :sigh:

9. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Arg, SilenX....
    Those numbers will no doubt be vastly exaggerated, they have a reputation amongst quiet pc builders and tisn't a good one to be honest. Admittedly, it's not the same fan as yours, but this review shows how SilenX specs and actual results don't always match up.

10. Maxi-

Maxi- What's a Dremel?

Bump. ^^

Anyone find out or tested this cooler in an Antec P-182 case yet? I'm very tempted to buy both forementioned for my new rig.

11. Lorder05

Lorder05 What's a Dremel?

I have an Antec Sonata 2, which is a smaller case then the p-182 i think and my noctua nh-u12p fits fine. Running on a mini atx m2npv-vm that i cant do much overclocking on. AMD 64X2 4200. overclocked to 2420MHz(stock 2200). Idle temps are 21-23c and about 34c MAX rarely gets that high, hangs around 30-32. I payed 71 bucks shipped for this thing and its worth every penny. 2 other 120mm fans blowing and a zalman vf900 vga cooler. All and All its a very quiet system. Anything else ill be glad to share.....Will UPGRADE LATER.....

12. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

I did a bit of research to see if it will fit a p182 and I'm still not sure ...

The antec FAQ regarding the P182 states a 152mm (6in) clearance for CPU heatsinks
    The NH-U12P is 158mm tall, I guess it doesn't fit :waah:

But then I checked a review of the heatsink where they managed to fit it into a P190 chassis after removing the 200m side fan and bracket.
    Now the P190 is 205mm wide while the P182 is 210mm wide ...

I'm confused :confused:

edit:
    Seems to fit in a P180 been surfing a bit and found a few posts where people use the P182 and this noctua
    Guess the 152mm stated by antec was a precise conversion of a rough 6in measurement

Edit 2:
    As a matter of fact even a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (160.5mm tall) fits the P182 with room to spare

Last edited: 22 Feb 2008
  13. wyx087

i wouldn't say with room to spare.

the heatpipes feels like sticking out of the case, but the side panel can be closed, and seems like it just about fits

14. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Hey Wuyanxu, is 3.2 GHz the max overclock you could squeeze out of your G0 with the ultra 120 extreme ? Is it passive (if not, what fan do you use?) or did you choose not to bump the voltage?
    I'm looking into a similar setup but was hoping more something like 3.6GHz to 4GHz ...

Last edited: 22 Feb 2008
  15. wyx087

max 3.9Ghz, but wasn't 100% stable, only managed SuperPi. never tryed higher

max stable was 3.6Ghz, but temperature were a bit over the top (>70c, near 75c at max) with side panel closed. i am considering a HDD cage for better air intake at the moment.

i ran 3.4Ghz 24/7 now, but i *THINK* i can do 3.6Ghz or 3.8Ghz 24/7 if i can be bothered to lap this heatsink, and get better fans for better case airflow.

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with 2 Noiseblocker XL2 (basically Yate Loon fans), doing push and pull, the pull fan is mounted like a diamond, so one corner of the fan blows air over PWM coolers.

it really depends on your quad core's VID, mine is 1.325v, it's as bad as it can get, need ~1.5v (actual) for 3.6Ghz. if you can get a q6600 as low as 1.2v VID, you'd be laughing.

16. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Got my Q6600 yesterday and I have a Vid of 1.22 so I guess I'll be laughing :)

Only on stock cooling so far, I'll wait till next month to start playing ;)

17. Eylem Koca

Eylem Koca What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have question about this heatsink.
    I have an Adamas case and the distance from motherboard PCB to side panel is about 163mm. I wonder NH-U12P would fit...
    I know the heatsink itself measures 158mm but can anyone give a measurement from mobo PCB to the tip of heatpipes?
    Or, can anyone tell how high the CPU stands over the mobo?
    Many thanks!

18. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I suppose that will all depend on the height of the socket on your mobo. I have a Coolermaster Elite 330 case with a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 mobo and this heatsink, and it just fits. I think that there is about 0.1mm between the side of the case and the tips of the heatpipes. It is a very snug fit.

Andy

19. Eylem Koca

Eylem Koca What's a Dremel?

Thank you so much for the response Shielder!
    You might have ended my dreams actually, since CM Elite 330 is 203mm wide whereas the Adamas is 190mm. Well still just to be sure, would you care to measure the height of the cooler (or the depth of your case) from the motherboard PCB? Since we're talking about LGA 775 socket, I don't think the height would change from mobo to mobo... I have the Abit ip35 pro... Many thanks, and I will understand if you don't respond! ;)

Tags: Add Tags