1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Noctua Xeon coolers and free Core i7 kit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

When looking at core i7's auto-OC option, i think Noctua should actually print on the box what kind of heatload the cooler can dissipate under "normal" conditions.
    Since you can actually enter a wattage in the bios and I7 adjusts itself to that number...

3. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I realize this is posted under the "news" section, and not in review format, but where are all the cooling review informations? Cooling performance, noise levels?

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It looks pretty, I'll be waiting for a full review.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

wee I may take a look at those xeon coolers - water cooling them at the moment but that may be quieter.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not really a review, just a heads up. Not a huge market for after market Xeon coolers tbh

7. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

I have read through this well written article a few times just to be clear in my own head!

Bindi I have read a lot of your responses in the past and appreciate your excellent knowledge and experience, C'mon........
    This made me really angry Bindi :eyebrow: - B3CK is completely right and I suspect you will reflect on your post, already making excuses for advertising a product / brand! I dared to say it...

C'mon guys please don't let me down.....a review does not have to have all the stats indeed I don't mind if its a simple score, based on experience, but when you start having "news" for hardware at least say this is NOT A REVIEW and we will be reporting in future etc etc - this reminds me of those ads in some mags that have "this is an advert" on the top of the page in really small writing..

BTW the article is great, infact some useful info for Noctua owners don't spoil it!

1) This should have gone in "Hardware" or not be a "mini-review".
    2) The article should state clearly at the beginning what it is...!
    3) You should clarify performance in "the full review" or stick to the results so that bit-tech can be seen to be one of the most independent and fair hardware review sites on the net...In fact I do not mind if you say Noctua want to "announce / publicise" etc..

:thumb: Please do not take this the wrong way Bindi but TBH I was really upset when I saw your reply...
    Matt

8. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I can understand not putting much into an article that doesn't really have that large of an audience, I can, really. It just through me off noticing that the whole article was in a hardware review format, minus the stats. And that the piece was 'on our desk'; but no mention of a more in depth review later, or any mention that more specs would follow. C'mon, the impressive articles that are kinda like a junk 'Desk Roundup' that covers everything from whack a mole to a long lost forgotten usb flash drive, have more info on the items in question.
    But having a xeon powered sc440 dell server at home, with a horrible loud fan on it, parked in my living room, I am interested in this product. Will it fit? Noise lvl's, loaded noise? Temp stats?
    And with this article, it either makes me think someone messed up/had a bad day/was sick, or that this is a change due to the Dennis deal. While I know some things will change, I do come to BT for reviews, and have always found exceptional reviews on your articles, even when the item doesn't appear to be anything special.
    Even if your trying to save man-hours on something that doesn't really need that much testing, even a mention of how much cooler it is than stock, or hotter than stock, or 'jet engine' or couldn't hear it above the drive, type information would be helpful. So if it's a piece of news stating it's in your office, cool, how long to a review? If it is a review, who left out all the pertinent info?

9. *mat-ster*

I agree with everything you have said B3CK...
    Lets just hope it's an innocent oversight, rather than the slippery Dennis....

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not at all. I haven't even met anyone from Dennis. It's been like, a week.

1) It's not a review, it's simply a piece of news. Noctua kindly replaced our coolers, it wasn't meant for a review or a news post - it was just to offer an example because no one elsewhere has shown them off yet.

2) You're reading too much into it and making me feel like it's just not worth giving a simple "here is something you might want to check out, it works for us". A friendly nod to something we were sent which happened to fit a need and be really good to boot. No conspiracy, just like one friend telling a few others.

3) We don't review Xeon coolers (yet), we don't have a spare platform to do it and there simply aren't enough ever offered to us to warrant the effort, time and limited comparison. I've no idea what your SC440 is dimensionally sorry but a quick look at the Noctua website: http://noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=20&lng=en&set=1 will tell you the size specifications and the noise - well, it's Noctua, so pretty damn quiet. It's night and day compared to the copper POS Intel supply.

If you really want to know why I couldn't muster the time to put together a "full review", I'm currently running through over 750 tests for a CPU launch soon and I thought it might be nice to at least cover something, rather than not share at all. I figure you'd rather read a super in depth article on Core i7, then two half assed ones.

We might bung them into an on our desk then, if you like? Few more pics, few more specs and a price?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Oct 2008
  11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I don't know what all the fuss is about. But whats wrong with a heads up not being a review. It's just a "quick review" of a product for a small market. Hey I like the Quick Review naming. Name this article "Quick Review" and get on with the good stuff. Must be the end of summer and all the bad weather clouds hanging over peoples head makes them angry at anything.. tjeeess

12. *mat-ster*

Thanks for clarifying that Bindi, please accept my apology - Sorry.

Yes I would prefer it if it was an "on our desk" or "quick review" type rather than "News".

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sure sure, :):) I'll get Joe to do some more photos, prices, sizes in the next on-our-desk. I don't know when that'll be though as those articles are infrequent at best.I just wanted to let you know about their existence along with the free LGA1366 bracket a little sooner though ;)

14. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Got it. I just got confused as to how it looked like a review format, but posted in news; and had more info than normal news, ( I do like more info). But I do appreciate knowing the noise is reduced. Also that it performs better than stock.

15. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Hmm, I wonder if my workplace would let me replace the cooler on my workstation with one of these, I have an annoying, constant drone from the tower at the moment. Not too oud but noticable

Tags: Add Tags