1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisey PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by :Galokin:, 20 May 2003.

1. :Galokin:

:Galokin: Guest

ok here it is...

My old PSU died, had it for 2 years so didnt really mind.
    Bought a new Q-Tech 350 'silent' PSU from RefreshComputers and well...its not so silent.

Ive noticed at times it has a ring to it and sometimes a different noise.

Ive had no power problems or nething so im not totally bothered, but thought i better had ask.

Good news / Bad news?

2. CatKing

CatKing What's a Dremel?

hi,

have u checked is there any wires inside your case that touching the psu fan?

3. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

Presuming it has got a fan inside it, Id put money on it being loose and rattling against something, although a word of warning, opening up a PSU is probably the most potentially dangerous thing u can do mate ;)

my dell PSU makes a werr ing noise, I tap it and it stops. But then thats cos its cheap, u get what u pat for I guess :)
    lets face it, q-tec rnt the most expensive ;)

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

I got a q tec 550w psu and mine aint to loud at all....Infact its great..."im selling it aswell":cooldude:

5. :Galokin:

it cost me £20. I was gonna get a q-tech 550 psu but when it blew the only one in stock at my local shop was the 350 so i had no choice but to buy, couldnt stand not having bit-tech! :p

ill have check the fan but i dont plan on taking it apart. Do u reckon its worth taking back to the shop?

6. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

No, Dell PSUs are good PSUs(modified Antec Truepowers).
    I have a Delta PSU(which is good) that makes a strange humming noise when it's off(not very loud, you have to be pretty close to the PSU in a quiet room to hear it).
    If you turn it on, it makes a strange buzz until the fan(a powerful 80mm Delta) spins up, which pretty much drowns out the noise from the electronics.
    Of course, you can then drown out the fan noise with Britney Spears.:D

7. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Simple solution...

Send it back, get a replacement due to faulty equipment & have a moan at the people you ordered from (usually leads to good things)

Regardless of the product you ordered anything you order from new should not (unless otherwise stated) require you to rip it apart to make it work due to mechanical defect, especially if it's offering Science!! :wallbash:

8. :Galokin:

lol sounds like u have had some experience in this department mate :D