1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics noob need some help picking a new video card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coffinator6, 13 Oct 2009.

1. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

take it easy guys, this is my first post.

I think its time for a new video card for my computer and have no clue what to get. I do want to stay with an ATI card. Im looking for something that will work great with my current set up and will look good on a 52'-60" lcd tv because I use my computer as a DVR. I don't need the best there is but don't want something cheap either. My computer is a couple years old and might need some other updating.

current set up is:

sunbeam tech clear acrylic case.
    intel 2.4Ghz E6600 dual-core processor
    20x dvd+/-R dvd burner with lightscribe
    250GB western digital caviar hard drive
    2gb of G.Skill memory
    asus P5B-plus motherboard
    Aspire 500w power suppily
    SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB graphics card(doesnt like vista)
    Acer 22" monitor
    Hauppauge tv tuner card
    linksys wireless internet card

currently running vista ultimate and having problems with the video card. ever once in a while it will freeze up and give me a bunch of colored lines on the screen. I have the latest drivers for the card and it still does it. my computer buddy who built it said its cause the video card wasn't getting along with vista.

this is my first semi custom computer. I hope to have nice case mod coming soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Welcome to the Bit-Tech forums. :)

First off, the display isn't getting corrupted because the video card isn't getting along with Vista (as long as you have current drivers, there should be no problem), it's because the video card is dying. But that kind of thing happens, and it doesn't change that you need a new card.

Do you do any gaming on this PC?

3. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Answer depends on how much you want to spend on this upgrade.
    Also on if you want to get into some games.

4. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

it has done it ever sence we put the computer together. only game I have loaded is flight sim. i really don't have the time to play games but still want a good card if I decided to every once in a while.

I would like to upgrade to 4 gigs, upgraded video and maybe some water cooling. I would like to keep my mother board, HD, and cd drive. it all depends on if i go with a new case. the new case is going to be rather tight so i might just end up building a whole new computer.

I can't just go in and pick out different components that work together. I just dont know that much about computers. If someone could set me up with some new hardware, that would be great. the smaller the better. I would like as video card with the the same requirments above must have two hdmi or dvi out's. I would like to use a slim cd drive, modular power suppily, small motherboard, keep my tv tuner, and wireless card. Some water cooling would be sweet but im not sure ill have room. Its all going to have to fit in a scale replica of a North American P-51D mustang nose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Oct 2009