1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Normal barbs vs stubby barbs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bad_cancer, 9 Jul 2009.

1. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Hello,

So i am in the planning stages of a project and browsing for WC parts, i noticed that there are normal sized barbs and what they call stubby barbs for sli setups...etc.

I think the stubby ones look cool, but can you use them anywhere?

What are the pros and cons of using stubby versus normal?

Thanks in advance,
    Super WC Noob:sigh:

2. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Use normal barbs wherever you can, and stubbies only when needed. They tend to leak more because they're shorter, have less of the actual barb, and have less area which is clampable behind the barb.

3. brodel

brodel Minimodder

I thought they were even less likely to leak, hence being called perfect seal barbs. They do create more resistance but the difference between those and high flow barbs is quite minimal. I have some and the area which is clampable is not that much smaller and still enough to fit a barb on, unless we are talking of something else.

[​IMG]

4. Bad_cancer

thanks for the advice sheninat0r

and brodel. I mean these ones:

[​IMG]

High flow but very short, cheers

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Screw those, use these.

[​IMG]

6. sheninat0r

Hell yes, compression fittings. Too bad they're horribly awkward to disassemble and assemble properly unless you know exactly what you're doing; case in point, I once saw someone complain about leaking compressions because he took a torque wrench and tightened every single compression sleeve up to its absolute maximum point.

7. Bad_cancer

yes i really like the look of the compression fittings, but two things:

1) Like sheninat0r said, they are harder to use but most importantly,
    2) They are more than twice the price of barbs. A normal barb can retail for like $2.50 and compression ones for like $7.00

there are ghost compression ones made of polycarbonate, they retail for like $4.00 but i cant seem to trust mixing plastic and chemicals, specially when you consider that polycarbonate cracks when exposed to anti-freeze. (not that im ever gonna need anti-freeze here in the tropics but still....)

8. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Listen to this guy he knows where its at ;)

9. Bad_cancer

lol, i was going to anyway, but now he has my full attention. thnx!

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well, you gotta suffer for beauty.

EDIT: I just noticed! 7 bucks?! Here they go for anywhere between $2.5 and $5 (but that's for the Innovatek branded ones)

Last edited: 10 Jul 2009
  11. sheninat0r

Hey man, I'm setting up a loop next week using Ghost compressions :D! They certainly feel sturdy enough (polycarbonate is the stuff they make bulletproof glass out of, but then again this is much thinner than bulletproof glass...), and they were $2.85 each. At moddersmart and jab-tech, Ghost compressions cost $2.85 per if you get 10 or more.

As for mixing plastic + chemicals, everyone's going to have plastics somewhere in their loop, be it the reservoir or the tops of some blocks or whatnot. I'd be more afraid of chemicals eating away at rubber (o-rings and the like), but they don't really get exposed to too much liquid so I guess that's okay. I feel that antifreeze isn't used too much anymore as an anti-corrosion agent because most people have learned to stop mixing metals.

As for me, none of this will be a concern because I'll be using straight distilled with a nice chunk of silver dropped in my res :rock:.

Depends on where you shop - the cheapest place I know of to get compressions is Sidewinder, where most Bitspower compressions go for 2/$9.95.

12. Bad_cancer

Well the thing is that here they don't sell any, and so i need to have them shipped and that can get expensive. It just about doubles the total price.
    I can agree to suffering for beauty, but due to whoever invented exchange rates, that is just too much suffering...

I might consider the ghost ones though.
    Thanks for all the info guys! :thumb: