1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Not normal northbridge temps

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shogun, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Shogun

Shogun Banned

Im sure these temps arent normal, Is the northbridge supposed to get that high? The northbridge heatsink does not feel hot and nor does the p4 hs because ive got very good airflow in my case (3x80mm intake 2x80mm exhaust) Tell me if you need any more info

p4 2.0ghz at 2.62ghz
    Msi 6513
    82845MP brookdale host hub

[​IMG]

2. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

Are you sure that temperature is accurate though? It's not uncommon from what I've heard/read.

Also, is the system stable? These days I tend to see stability as a sign of a good system, rather than low temperatures (even though they do look nice).

3. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

There is nowhere that actually reads the northbridge temp, unless youve personally added a themperature sensor to it yourself.

I really doubt northbridge temperatures are high, cos my passive cooled one hardly ever gets warm.

4. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

Some sensors use different scales, so Sandra might be reporting 1.5 or 2x the actual temperature. Try using the software supplied by your motherboard manufacturer.

Oh, and "system" temp is usually somewhere on the mobo away from hot components like the CPU and NB, to give you an idea of the temperature of the air inside the case.

MoJo

5. Shogun

Shogun Banned

mine didnt come with any software and it does not show temps in the bios :sigh: ah well.

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

That may be making reference to the Power Circuit, which the northbridge is considered a part of. When i had to use a small (1x1x1) passive sink on my i865 northbridge, it was at 63c!, the same sink on my old bh7 was 55c. When it's replaced with the big-ass abit normal northbridge sink, which is actively cooled, the temp drops 24c to a nice 39c at load. When a 40mm fan is added to the passive sink, temps will drop 7-10c. Just so you know, that number is likely correct.

7. Shogun

Shogun Banned

if the heatsink was making proper contact with the northbridge chip (which i am sure it is) shouldnt it be getting hot?

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Actually, if it's not making correct contact, the bit that does connect will get hot, but otherwise no heating up of the sink will occur.