1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Notebook Dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fujukami, 29 Aug 2009.

1. Fujukami

Fujukami What's a Dremel?

Hello there people!
    I've got kinda' of a dilemma. It is as follows: I've got a budget of 1500 Euros to spend on a laptop. What I'm looking after is a 17" or above screened notebook. Furthermore I'm looking for a "gaming rig".
    Problem nr 1:
    What GPU should I get: Radeon or nVidia? And if which one of them should I pick? A 260? or a 4850?
    The CPU is an intel one: P8700. Weight isn't an issue here.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should buy, Asus, MSI, Acer, or any other, please give me some advice. Also if I have missed anything please let me know as well.

Winter

2. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

ATI mobile graphics tend to be better for the price on laptops, and I'm not just saying that "read my title :p"

3. Fujukami

Understood, but which one would you recomend then? The 4850 over the 260? Ultimately I think gaming performance is determined by GPU so what I'd like to know is which of the 2 performs better.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I think performance wise, the m4850 is similar in performance to the desktop 4830, and the gtx260m is about desktop 9800gt performance.

The ati is more power savvy, not that thats really an issue with a gaming laptop.

From the manufacturers you've listed i'd go with asus, but there are other options novatech have a selection of gaming laptops HERE and theres also the big boys alienware and rock

I have no hands on experience with big laptops like these because i just dont see the point in them, maybe take a look at the asus g60vx and g71gx.

5. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

6. Fujukami

Well this I think is the best option ATI wise: MSI Megabook GT729S-Q9047VHP
    http://geizhals.at/eu/a454250.html
    And this for the nVidia one:
    ASUS G71GX-7S022K http://geizhals.at/eu/a444259.html
    Out of the two I think its pretty safe to say that Asus gives more bang for the buck hence the 6GB of memory...but I'm not entirely sure that that's such a boost in overall gaming performance. Any thoughts?

7. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Well, both play crysis at reasonable resolution on high settings, but the GTX 260M has CUDA, PhysX and Hybrid Power so it's one sided tbh... go for the Asus...

8. Fujukami

I've read the reviews on both the MSI and the Asus notebooks, and I somehow have even more trouble deciding now than ever before:eeek::eeek: But ultimately I think that you might be right, the nVidia variant is better, now all that remains is to figure out what manufacturer I should stick to, Asus or anyone else. As the review stated the Asus's monitor "sucks". While I'm not sure if its the case or not, I'll just have to trust the review. I just need all the info I can gather since the investment isn't just a meager few bucks.

Tags: