1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Novell SuSe 10 Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by badders, 2 Mar 2009.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Hi All,
    My other half's just bought a netbook, which has Novell SuSe 10 installed.
    Everything's fine and dandy with it generally, but I need to know a couple of things that I can't really find the answers to on google.

Is there a way to mount two network drives once she has connected to our home wireless network?
    Either through a script or through a desktop shortcut. I don't want her to have to go into terminal every time and type the commands.

Also, I'm a little worried that YaSt only wants to use offline repositories.
    Only having used debian and debian-based distros, I'm more used to just using aptitude or similar, as opposed to finding an out of date DVD and installing packages from there :(

Any advice?

TIA.

2. dumde

dumde What's a Dremel?

3. badders

Thanks dumde, but if I add them to fstab, then wouldn't it look for the drives before the network was connected (and password for the default keyring was entered)?

Sorry, should have mentioned, it's a hp mini-note 2133.

There are RPM ISO's on the hp website, designed for you to download, burn to DVD and then upload to your own FTP server for YaSt to find, but the FTP links are broken.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You could write a bash script to do the mounts and set it to run via init (?) the script would basically be
    Code:
    #/bin/bash
    Mount1 path mount-point
    mount2 path mount-point

note that is air code and will not work... obviously ;)

5. badders

Is there a way to call a script on connection to a certain network though?

I suppose I could do a cron job to check if
    Code:
    ifconfig|grep "10.0.0."
    is non-empty, except it'll keep trying to mount the drives all the time it's connected.

Do you think I could add a bit in there to see if "ls mount-point" returns nothing, and mount on that condition?

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I believe there is something called dbus-scripts which would do that and probably more eloquently but i can't find much on google.