1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Now I need a NAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IamJudd, 7 Sep 2020.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

The previous advice on a laptop has been sorted and, due to sticking with 1TB on the Macbook Pro I'm being given, I'd like to have everything else accessible at home.
    Father J has recommended Synology DS215 with 2 bays with WD Reds (he has 3TB) and it's connected via a Netgear ethernet switch.

Can anyone let me know if that's a good option? Is anyone selling anything (annoyed with myself for giving away a NAS a couple of months back now lol)?

Thanks in advance,

Judd

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If you have the cash then Synology are the tits.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Way too much for me to consider soz!

The Synology 220 looks pretty nice! Just got to work out what drive size/ speed to go for. Have a lot of music, photos and games - granted, some can be offloaded to the cloud but it would be nice to retain some ownership of at least the music and photo element... I'm guessing 2x 4TB should be enough...

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Is that 8tb total space you need or will you be running a mirror.

Watch the prices on WD elements externals, easy enough to take apart and use the disks. Ideally avoid anything smaller than 8tb or you may end up with an smr or a blue. You want a red or a white.

Are you planning to run just just file services or are you likely to want to run services?

Left field suggestion, old hardware and roll your own with unraid? 2nd hand gen7 micro server will be cheap, 4 bays and more than capable

Arboreal likes this.