1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now solved: Screwed monitor or graphics card?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by spacemunkee, 16 Jan 2007.

1. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

pc working all perfect yesterday nothing to worry about. Monitor on standby this morning when i turn pc on. It wouldnt cold boot properly for a few tries (maybe due to slight overclock) then when it finally properly booted the monitor went off idle but the green light to say its on properly didnt light up. Also nothing came up on the screen just black screen just as it was on standby.

So i assume the worst that the monitor is dead, i changed the fuse in the plug to no avail and now there is no light on it at all. However when i plugged my monitor cable in to my laptop to run which i have done before there is also a blank screen. The computer is fully booted as it auto signs me in to msn.. any ideas anyone?

I wouldnt put it down to the graphics dieing.. it was working fine last night and i found out how to check the temp of the gpu which was at 47 degrees idle. The only setting i did change was on the nvidia control panel and i put it on like the second option on the display settings, i cant tell you what it is as i cant see the menu at the moment but it was like the one you can click on and then go to advanced page and change how it works for certain games etc.

Spec:

ga 965p s3
    520w corsair psu
    ocz platinum 2gb ram
    bfg geforce 7950gt

Last edited: 16 Jan 2007
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'd say it was graphics aswell. Contact the retailer/manufacturer about it.

3. spacemunkee

just had a feel and my south bridge and back of graphics card are really hot as in i cant touch them for long.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Why on Earth did you touch live components? It can damage them you know?

5. spacemunkee

Who said i touched them live i did it straight after i powered down and took the side off. Im not as newb as you think lol. I went out and bought a new monitor since the old one was **** anyway and problem is now solved. No idea why it wouldnt work through my laptop though as i have done it loads of times before.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What?

Unless your hands are dripping in sweat, its no problem at all. At least, its never killed anything I've ever owned.