1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now use 4 cores in VMware player

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by brooksy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

cool going to have an little play now not at home but can have an quick mess with it in this system

2. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Oh and once you get the notfred running u will see an ip address put that in ie and click on config and change user name and team as it defaults to notfred and his team

3. leexgx

i got it working, not worked out how you safely shut it down yet and what happens when it starts back up, i see it does an back up on the web site as you can config it but what it reopens it looks like it re-downloads the project again, was before 15 mins had happened thought, this system is running XP 32 with 3x 9800GX2 cards so the system ram usable is only 1.5gb the system really tanked when i had every thing open (6xGPU) taken me 2 mins to exit VMplayer :)

how do you shut it down as well, and will it auto resume when it has reopened

Last edited: 1 Nov 2009
  4. leexgx

i got version 6.5.3 of VMware workstation, and it will start up with 4 threads (in the settings for cores it says other (4) for the VM, it says the VM will not start but it does with 4 cores)

ok it does back up to the VM disk every 15 mins restores on start up this does present problems if the work unit is perm broken (never really happened to me on SMP more resetting to 0% on restart on WinSMP), needs more options thought on the web panel, like shutdown, remove all backups and reboot or get new work (bad work unit)

the FAHmon problem with it messing the client names up is anoying (wish it was still file based as i could just set the file to read only or security settings to deny)

5. Bork_Bork

Bork_Bork What's a Dremel?

What spec PC is that? I tried 2 last night but need to adust memory settings in the VM as the second one had died overnight, initial PPD was higher but it was going down gradually when I left it as FahMon caught up.

6. leexgx

on my server 2003 running vm it not get An work unit says 503 error, but my win7 system working fine (temp fix is to run the VM on my pc first get work unit then run it on server again)

7. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

[​IMG]

This spec as follows
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition (Build 7600) 64 bit edition
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
    4 gig of ram
    Running 1 gpu client in high priority
    2 Vmwares low priority this morning vmware is getting as from the pics vmware 1 2999.78ppd
    vmware 2 1949.33 ppd

On my other q6600 i get 2500 each vmware thats only clocked to 2.7

Memory is set to 1500 per vmware

8. leexgx

:( sounds like the main fan in my aircon is going to die as its making noises that it should not be, that could make an issue with temps in my room if it gets an little warm out side

think its time for me to make my air ducting to vent the hot air out of from my video cards to out side

i had an system jam at 6pm today restarted it at 9pm (it was and was not an system hang taskmanager was still showing 100% CPU use but nothing was doing any work had to press restart to get it back on think it was teamviewer that did it))

mite have an go at 2 folding clients see if it improves things but it may affect the GPUs very happy with just one right now

getting avg 3700 PPD on both systems (QX6850 3.3ghz and same for Phomem II 3ghz) 2669 projects both systems are set to low Priority, GPUs are left on defaults, but my batch files makes sure that only 2 GPUs only operate on each CPU core to prevent GPU slow downs

9. leexgx

quite impressed thought

getting 4000 PPD (2000 per VM running 2 at this time) 3300 PPD if i only run one VM (but CPU is not fully used with one VM running but its does 2x more PPD running 1 VM then WinSMP)

10. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

The idea of running the beta version was that you could run instance of vmplayer set it to low priority in prifinity or a similar program, set the gpu clients to real then it wouldnt get in the way of the gpu clients I picked up a couple off thousand PPD running one version on four cores than two versions on two cores each, it seemed to make my pc more responsive and I think used less memory. Mike

11. leexgx

the 2 VMware notfreds has no affect on the GPU clients not on my end any way

i got 2 VM notfreds running both are set to 4 cores each / low priorty ungrabbed and i have 4 GPU2 clients running Default setting i think higher priorty from the settings in the client {not at home}

12. Bork_Bork

This was the other day but now the notfred's client seems to be going really slow.

This may be a stupid question but is the client meant to set up 2 instances - folding/1 & folding/2 with 2 cores each or 1 with 4 cores? When I point Fahmon and the second instance it seems to be either going really slow or have stopped.

13. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

The idea was to set up one instance and choose how many cores you have. IE 2 for a 2core proccesor and 4 for a 4 core. it will only set up one instance unless you set it up twice. Mike

14. Bork_Bork

I have only opened 1 Notfreds folding client via VMWare Player but in the VM is says that it is starting 2 instances. I'll have a look when I get home at the exact wording.

15. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

I have 2 instances of the client running ie 2 blue square windows running both set to low priority ie vmware.vmx.exe left them both running on all four cores and set my gpu 9800 to realtime ie Fahcore_11.exe*32 and Folding@home-Win32-gpu.exe*32 both left for all four cores..

Vmware1 is showing 3796.06
    Vmware2 is showing 2575.90
    my gpu is showing 4444.24 for a 787 ppd
    total is 10816.20 not bad for 1 wee rigand I can use it for normal stuff without any probbs :)

16. leexgx

i would only recommend running one VM unless you got I7, the clock go's 1.7x faster so the PPD that FAHmon is reporting is incorrect reports more PPD then it should, i think it does the same on my server (Phenom II 3ghz) as well if i open 2 VMs on an quad core CPU it makes the clock go basically 2x faster inside the VM

speed step is turned off and other power management stuff

i get 4000 PPD peak for both QX6850 @ 3.3ghz , But if i have Opera open i lose 800 PPD (running win7)
    on the phenom II (default 3Ghz)system it stays at around 4000 PPD (opera open or not) running 2003 server x64

i do not think i am getting much more PPD if i am its most likely very minimal or lower

Last edited: 6 Nov 2009
  17. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

Finally managed to find time to set this up.

Seems to be working well. Very well. :D

Only thing I had to do was completley reinstall FAHMON. It didn't seem to agree with the new player for some strange reason. :eyebrow:

All is well now though.

:thumb:

18. robddav

robddav What's a Dremel?

Agreed its working well for me too. :)

I can't detect mine in FAHmon either but I can't see them on my network any more? I type the IP addresses into ff and it fails to resolve then. They're deffo working as I'm completing work units.

Any suggestions?

19. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

I had to uninstall and reinstall FAHMON for a similar issue.

I 'lost' them all completely on the network even though they were working fine.

Have a go at the same. Report back on how you get on.

:rock:

20. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Fahmon works fine for me but to see the progress I had to change it to the ip address of the vmware that is running instead of the name ie fold-5f3e ,the other strange thing I noticed is when you shut it down the ip address changes so I have to keep editing it in fahmon but they are still happy chomping away :)