1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now use 4 cores in VMware player

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by brooksy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Had problems with FAHMON not loading etc..

But none with VMWARE.
    Works well - so far for daylight production

2. Bork_Bork

Bork_Bork What's a Dremel?

I reinstalled Notfreds and it's now running 1 instance using 4 cores but it is only using 65% of the CPU?

3. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

sounds about right to me..
    2 x will give you 100%

4. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

@others
    change the workgroup in reconfigure to match your workgroup on you pc (not had an issue yet with not been able to connect to my notfreds clients)

@Bork_Bork
    is it running A1 or A2, make sure its set to 4 thread in notfred (under reconfigure) you may be able to use 8 (i test it later on see if it start) as it can only use A2 cores with 2 or 8 threads

one thing i have seen that AMD VM notfred is bit better then Intel CPU VM notfred haveing opera open on my intel CPU makes me lose close to 800-1000 PPD, but my AMD PII loses none (apart form when when i start checking/decompressing downloads)

Last edited: 7 Nov 2009
  5. leexgx

i am assuming that you had them Folding running for 1day 6hrs

your in fact getting 1800 PPD there look at the logs (View/show FAHlog) the times are likely to be way off if you had it running for 1 day (i can see its been running for 1day 6 hrs it should only take around 11-13 hrs to do each work unit on your CPU)

only run one VMware notfred on quad or dual core cpus

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12042

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm sceptical about that, my Fahmon PPD always said x PPD when I was running VMs on my Q6600 (not at the moment because that rig is down) and EOC stats always reflected that PPD estimation. I think the clocks in the VM are fine, a quad can run 2 of them no problem.

7. leexgx

how long does it take to complete an work unit it should take around 12 hrs to do each work unit if its taking 1day 5hrs your wasting project time and getting lower PPD you get the points for the work unit but it take 1day 5 hrs or more for each work unit or 2 per day if under 1 VM,

i really could do with you checking it make sure time is not drifting, as it did this on both my AMD PII and intel QX6850 3.3ghz

other stuff i have seen when folding
    the NV cores (1888 pointers) on both my systems AMD and intel, really did mess up the PPD at one point i was getting less then 4000 PPD per GPU but i was getting an extra 600 PPD on the SMP notfred, going to add to my guide PriFinitty 2 (going to make it bit more complicated)

8. Bork_Bork

I am running 2 VM's as running 1 only uses 60-65% of my CPU, PPD shows as 3200 which is just over what I was getting with 2 VMs with 2 Cores.

Is there a way to make the VM use all of the CPU, it's definitely set to 4 cores and 4 threads.

9. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

whilst we are on vm,is there anyway to lock down the ip address? i tend to shut down my routers for an hour at night whilst i have a quick online frag session,so when i switch them back on vm reassigns new ip address's.
    cheers spunky

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Spunky, just log in to the web page & set it a static

11. leexgx

@spunkymonkey
    press reconfigure on the notfred web page and put in IP address in (gateway and DNS must be used as well)

@Bork_Bork
    make sure its using A2 work units (under reconfigure) make sure big and adv options are ticked

12. Bork_Bork

@leexgx - I was looking through the logs and realised the problem was A1 cores, it seems to be getting A2 cores now, so I've killed off the second VM. I can't remember if I reconfigured or not I think the big and adv options are ticked, will check tonight.

13. leexgx

if the A2 core server is down after 4-5 failed connects it goto the A1 core server (it only does about 70% total CPU used but it only takes 13hrs to do it)

---

I tested again running 2 vms results in the 2 VMs time service running 2x slower
    FAHmon will be reading the frame time incorrectly and reporting good PPD like mine now says i am getting 7000 PPD running 2 VMs when in fact is more like 3500-3000 PPD (1VM gets me 4100 PPD) i log the times again when i get back tonight but its all ready off the time on the VMs by 30 mins and its only been running for an hr

Last edited: 10 Nov 2009
  14. leexgx

nudge

(just noticed that the effective rate in FAHmon stil shows the correct frame time as its reporting 18mins 46sec per frame that must be using local time for total time running time not remote time)

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12042&p=118461#p118419 basicly what he posted

15. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I'm encountering a slight issue with setting up the VM-NotFred thing - on the machine I install the VM Player (v3) and NotFred package, I cannot access the IP through that computer, but can do it from any other computer - anyone else had this??
    (Could it be that my ZoneAlarm installs are doing something behind my back?)

16. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

17. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

I have found than on different pc's in the house on the same router I have had 2 set some of the vmware clients 2 bridged and the others to nat ......very odd but it worked...never used zone alarm for ages now been using avast and spybot ...very good ...

18. robddav

robddav What's a Dremel?

I have this problem. I have Norton not ZoneAlarm. I can see them from my Dad's pc and he has Norton too. I also find when I have the VM's running I can't see any of the other pc's on the workgroup.

the VM's run great though :)