1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nukemm v.1.0

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by b_dyche, 15 Sep 2004.

  1. b_dyche

    b_dyche New Member

    Joined:
    12 Oct 2003
    Posts:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0
    The specs on this machine at the moment are almost embarassing (see sig), but each payday it's getting better... ;). My basic idea for this case is the typical window/lights/fans setup, with an emphasis on keeping it simple, and a "modern" look, to match the rest of my setup. At completion the case will be black with a blue light, silver front bezel, and black drives. One of the 5.25" bays will be filled with a small dot-matrix LCD, and the other free bay will be sound blaster controls. As this is a relatively low-budget project, I'll be building off of an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, and recycling the majority of the components in my current rig.

    I can't find the pictures of the case, pre-dremel, so I guess we start on day 2 of modifications:

    First thing I did today was go to Wal-Mart and pick up some essentials
    - quick-dry auto primer
    - auto-finish gloss black paint
    - 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper
    - sanding block
    - automotive masking tape (thicker, less porous, more rubbery feeling than regular)
    - hazlenut candle (my old one burned out, and wet paint kind of stinks)
    - plexi (actually from Lowe's)
    - 15 pack of 14 oz. Mt. Dew (only $0.33USD more expensive than a 12x12oz.)
    - 12" cold cathode tube (from the local modder-friendly PC shop)
    - 4-pin power splitter (ran out of power connections, until next week when my new PSU gets here...)

    So with the equipment that I accquired today, I set to work. The first thing I did was open up & install the cathode tube... that was dumb, because the second thing I did was prime & paint, which involved masking off the cathode tube, on account of the fact that my servo tape is at the hobby-shop, along with my dremel. :wallbash:

    [​IMG]
    -test fit- As you can see, the paint on the access side turned out pretty decent, but still not perfect. I'm much better at painting R/C car bodies... :eek:
    [​IMG]
    The mobo side panel gave me hell. First I forgot to wipe the nozzle on the sprayer, which caused a drip on the primer, but then I did the same thing on the paint... :wallbash: This pic was taken after I thought I had everything perfect, then dropped the panel and scratched the whole side of it on my desk. About 5 minutes ago I put it on my computer... screws and all... just to make sure nothing happens to it in the next couple of days before I clearcoat it.
    [​IMG]
    Here we are with the side & top on, and the light glowing. Unfortunately, I left the flash on, so the glow isn't very intense. It looks pretty darn good with the black/beige contrast... soon it will look even better with a black/silver contrast, to match the monitor.
    [​IMG]

    Next on the list is to finish the cosmetics, to include the following:
    - paint the front bezel silver (same shade as monitor)
    - replace 5.25" blanks with smoked plexi
    - paint the drives black
    - replace power-button LED (doesn't work anyway) with a bl00 one, to match the rest of the lighting in the project.

    The next phase, time permitting, should be done in the next few days.
     
  2. b_dyche

    b_dyche New Member

    Joined:
    12 Oct 2003
    Posts:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0
    Off to go get more modding supplies... :dremel:

    - silver vinyl dye
    - bl00 LED's

    I think that's all I have time for today, I have to go to work in 3 hours... :grr:
     
  3. CYRiX

    CYRiX New Member

    Joined:
    4 Sep 2004
    Posts:
    82
    Likes Received:
    0
    nice but the window only shows cages, not that great.
     
  4. b_dyche

    b_dyche New Member

    Joined:
    12 Oct 2003
    Posts:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0
    Fair enough. I suppose that's what I get for not planning, and just cutting the crap out of it... :duh:
     

Share This Page